Dozens of people were injured in a fire at a 33-story high-rise building on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Four of the injured victims were New York City firefighters. Bhavik Shab who was in his 13th floor apartment initially reacted as many other residents mistakenly did by trying to flee his apartment: "I come out to see smoke all over", he said.
Among those injured was a 7-year-old girl who was in cardiac arrest on the 21st floor.
Although the fire was contained in the third floor apartment, high winds, blowing in from the open windows drove heavy smoke into the hallways throughout the building, according to the television station. Several of the apartments were occupied by medical residents and doctors affiliated with Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital. Once they reached the street, they worked on her and was able to revive her.
Manhattan Apartment Building Catches Fire; More Than A Dozen Injured
Santoro said that he and the other people in his apartment were advised to stay where they were.
Firefighters are still working to put out the fire.
Firefighters continued to search the building after putting out the fire, as people were reported to be trapped, according to WPIX. Twenty-four people, including four firefighters and an 8-year-old girl, were hurt, but their injuries are not thought to be life threatening. Fire marshals said the fire was caused by accident due to "careless use" of a candle.
Trump calls to 'strengthen and expand' USA nuclear capabilities
As always, it's fraught to take one Trump tweet as a descriptor of where his presidency might be headed. And that's a bad thing not a good thing.
- Malcolm Brogdon dunks on Kyrie Irving, LeBron James
- Everton fans react on Twitter to Barkley display against Liverpool
- Cats learn a tough lesson on the road in loss at Louisville
- Indiana Mom Accused of Beating Children for Opening Christmas Presents Early: Prosecutors
- 'Gone insane' Gary Holmes arrested shooting Acen King in Arkansas road rage
- Berlin's Christmas market reopens amid manhunt
- Idaho outguns Colorado State in Potato Bowl
- Will there be snow this Christmas?
- Beginning Hour Is Now Live On PC Via Steam
- Obama Moves to Eliminate Bush-era Tracking Program