Dozens of people were injured in a fire at a 33-story high-rise building on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Four of the injured victims were New York City firefighters. Bhavik Shab who was in his 13th floor apartment initially reacted as many other residents mistakenly did by trying to flee his apartment: "I come out to see smoke all over", he said.
Among those injured was a 7-year-old girl who was in cardiac arrest on the 21st floor.
Although the fire was contained in the third floor apartment, high winds, blowing in from the open windows drove heavy smoke into the hallways throughout the building, according to the television station. Several of the apartments were occupied by medical residents and doctors affiliated with Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital. Once they reached the street, they worked on her and was able to revive her.
Upper West Side Fire: At Least 6 Injured as Firefighters Battle 3-Alarm High Rise Blaze
Santoro said that he and the other people in his apartment were advised to stay where they were.
Firefighters are still working to put out the fire.
Firefighters continued to search the building after putting out the fire, as people were reported to be trapped, according to WPIX. Twenty-four people, including four firefighters and an 8-year-old girl, were hurt, but their injuries are not thought to be life threatening. Fire marshals said the fire was caused by accident due to "careless use" of a candle.
'Big chance' Ibra will extend stay - Raiola
Jose Mourinho had high praise for Zlatan Ibrahimovic after the striker led the way for another Man United victory. Now he also has this aggressiveness that the Premier League needs, when you don't have the ball.
- An assassination and a gunman's final words put Turkey on edge
- Odebrecht Settles Bribery Charges for up to $4.5 Billion USD
- Trump calls to 'strengthen and expand' USA nuclear capabilities
- Bigg Boss 10: Why is Swami Om abusing Manu and Manveer?
- Indiana Mom Accused of Beating Children for Opening Christmas Presents Early: Prosecutors
- Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor bring son Taimur home
- Everton fans react on Twitter to Barkley display against Liverpool
- Super Mario Run surpasses 40 million downloads in four days
- Obama Moves to Eliminate Bush-era Tracking Program
- Idaho outguns Colorado State in Potato Bowl