Dozens of people were injured in a fire at a 33-story high-rise building on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Four of the injured victims were New York City firefighters. Bhavik Shab who was in his 13th floor apartment initially reacted as many other residents mistakenly did by trying to flee his apartment: "I come out to see smoke all over", he said.
Among those injured was a 7-year-old girl who was in cardiac arrest on the 21st floor.
Although the fire was contained in the third floor apartment, high winds, blowing in from the open windows drove heavy smoke into the hallways throughout the building, according to the television station. Several of the apartments were occupied by medical residents and doctors affiliated with Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital. Once they reached the street, they worked on her and was able to revive her.
Manhattan Apartment Building Catches Fire; More Than A Dozen Injured
Santoro said that he and the other people in his apartment were advised to stay where they were.
Firefighters are still working to put out the fire.
Firefighters continued to search the building after putting out the fire, as people were reported to be trapped, according to WPIX. Twenty-four people, including four firefighters and an 8-year-old girl, were hurt, but their injuries are not thought to be life threatening. Fire marshals said the fire was caused by accident due to "careless use" of a candle.
Super Mario Run surpasses 40 million downloads in four days
But not everyone - especially investors - was so enthusiastic as the users who wanted to indulge into the Nintendo history. This could also be an early indication that the game is failing to engage users at the same level.
- Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor bring son Taimur home
- Mane leads Liverpool to last-minute win over Everton
- Trump calls to 'strengthen and expand' USA nuclear capabilities
- Berlin's Christmas market reopens amid manhunt
- Malcolm Brogdon dunks on Kyrie Irving, LeBron James
- Micron Technology, Inc. upgraded to Buy By Needham
- Where Are They Now? Mortgage Rates Respond to Fed Hike
- Odebrecht Settles Bribery Charges for up to $4.5 Billion USD
- Netflix's Twitter account hacked
- Idaho outguns Colorado State in Potato Bowl