Wayne Westner, the former South African professional golfer who spent nearly a decade living and teaching the sport in Ireland, died on Wednesday after apparently shooting himself following a hostage situation at his home.
Westner turned professional in 1981 and won his home South African Open on two occasions in 1988 and 1991, while it was exclusively a Sunshine Tour event.
Unconfirmed reports emerged this morning that the hostage situation involved his wife at their home in the KwaZulu-Natal province on South Africa's east coast, just south of Durban.
He won two events on the European Tour, the Dubai Desert Classic in 1993 and the FNB Championship in 1996. Officers said it appeared that the couple were separated.
Westner was forced to retire from golf due to injury in 1998. So I made the decision to go back home and it's great.
On Twitter on Wednesday, Els said: "Sad day, our friend Wayne Westner passed today".
Warm and Wet Start to the New Year
For Monday , the day will start off a bit cool and temperatures with temperatures in the upper 20's when you walk out the door. By the end of the week, highs will live in the low 20s; overnights could see wind chill values in the single digits.
So shocked to hear of the death of Wayne Westner, double former victor of SA Open and victor of Dubai Desert Classic.
Renowned Sky Sports commentator Ewen Murray, hinted at the "demons" Westner had to deal with, writing: WayneWestner;tormented golfing genius.Brilliant player with demons.Sad end for a more than decent colleague.
Upon retiring, Westner set up a golf school in Ireland.
New European Ryder Cup captain, Denmark's Thomas Bjørnsent his thoughts to "those left behind":Really saddened by the news of Wayne Westner.
Do you have any memories of South African Wayne Westner?
- Google linked with SoundCloud takeover
- Murray battles through to quarters in Doha
- Protesters illegally rappel from ceiling at Vikings' stadium, unfurl banner
- Miami Dolphins vs Pittsburgh Steelers Betting Odds and Prediction
- Tunisian arrested who allegedly dined with Berlin market attacker
- Apple to open production unit in Bengaluru
- Heavier storm coming to South Bay by Saturday afternoon, forecasters say
- This taste of Tony Romo is everything Jerry Jones wanted
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic injury would be a 'disaster' for Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- FDNY handling derailment of LIRR train with at least 76 hurt