Trump's nominee for Army secretary withdrew from consideration on Friday night citing concerns over family businesses.
"A Pentagon statement said defence secretary James Mattis was "disappointed but understands and respects" Viola's decision", adding that it would make another recommendation soon. Mr. Viola is now the Chairman and CEO of Virtu Financial and is one of the nation's foremost leaders in electronic trading. Viola owns the NHL's Panthers and is a majority shareholder in Virtu Financial and Eastern Air Lines. He said he looked forward to supporting the Army and its veterans "as private citizens".
Viola is a graduate of West Point and a veteran in the U.S. Army, trained as an Airborne Ranger infantry officer and serving in the 101st Airborne Division.
(Audio) Friday Is American Heart Association's National Wear Red Day
When you get involved in supporting Go Red For Women by advocating, fundraising and sharing your story, you save more lives. Your youth also doesn't excuse you from more "traditional" heart issues like heart attacks, clogged arteries, and strokes.
"I appreciate the confidence President Trump showed in me", he said.
The businessman is a 1977 graduate of West Point, the USA military academy, and helped found the Combating Terrorism Centre, a privately funded research wing of the school focused on "counterterrorism policy and strategy" and "ways to confront the dynamic threat environment" facing America today.
Prior to his withdrawal Viola stated, "This great honor comes with great responsibility, and I will fight for the American people and their right to live free every day". He has a net worth of $2 billion as of Saturday, according to Forbes.
- UK: Trump state visit puts Queen in 'difficult position'
- Trump Administration Pushes For Dakota Access Pipeline To Move Forward03:38
- Attorneys: Briles drops libel suit against Baylor officials
- Ban Ki-moon Drops Bid for South Korean Presidency, Blames 'Fake News'
- Sutton United 1-0 Leeds United
- Volkswagen shrugs off emissions scandal to become world's biggest carmaker
- 'Who Is His Acting Coach': Trump Rips Schumer for Crying Over Order
- Texas Gov. Abbot Halts Travis County Funding Over Sanctuary Policy
- US Coast Guard to suspend search for Canadian 'Sharkwater' filmmaker
- Lakers forward, Sudanese refugee Luol Deng responds to President Trump's travel ban