Trump's nominee for Army secretary withdrew from consideration on Friday night citing concerns over family businesses.
"A Pentagon statement said defence secretary James Mattis was "disappointed but understands and respects" Viola's decision", adding that it would make another recommendation soon. Mr. Viola is now the Chairman and CEO of Virtu Financial and is one of the nation's foremost leaders in electronic trading. Viola owns the NHL's Panthers and is a majority shareholder in Virtu Financial and Eastern Air Lines. He said he looked forward to supporting the Army and its veterans "as private citizens".
Viola is a graduate of West Point and a veteran in the U.S. Army, trained as an Airborne Ranger infantry officer and serving in the 101st Airborne Division.
Dems boycott committee vote, but Republicans unanimously approve Trump's EPA pick
Murray said in a statement Wednesday she opposes any rule change that would allow nominees to be "jammed through". Committee chairman John Barrasso accused the absent Democrats of engaging in delay and obstruction.
"I appreciate the confidence President Trump showed in me", he said.
The businessman is a 1977 graduate of West Point, the USA military academy, and helped found the Combating Terrorism Centre, a privately funded research wing of the school focused on "counterterrorism policy and strategy" and "ways to confront the dynamic threat environment" facing America today.
Prior to his withdrawal Viola stated, "This great honor comes with great responsibility, and I will fight for the American people and their right to live free every day". He has a net worth of $2 billion as of Saturday, according to Forbes.
- Liverpool will use Private Jet to Rush Player Back vs Chelsea
- French parliament raided by investigators in Francois Fillon probe
- 'Who Is His Acting Coach': Trump Rips Schumer for Crying Over Order
- HBC reportedly makes takeover approach to Macy's; shares rise
- Kim Kardashian's stolen jewellery was allegedly melted down and sold
- Breitbart editor to join press corp for White House briefing
- Fallout 4 Update 1.9 Next Week Brings PS4 Pro Support
- Texas Gov. Abbot Halts Travis County Funding Over Sanctuary Policy
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner 'fought Trump's LGBT order'
- Lakers forward, Sudanese refugee Luol Deng responds to President Trump's travel ban