"For a fish who spent much of his time imitating a fallen log, he sparked curiosity, excitement and wonder among guests of all ages who would hear his story", the aquarium's president Bridget Coughlin tells the wire service.
"Grandad was not only Shedd's longest-lived resident but also the oldest fish in any public zoo or aquarium in the world", the statement read.
The elderly lungfish had been in Chicago since the 1933 World's Fair.
Granddad, a male Australia lungfish and Chicago mainstay since 1933 (!), was euthanized after the old timer stopped eating and exhibited hallmarks of organ failure, according to press release from Shedd on Monday. Shedd officials said Granddad was the oldest fish at a USA aquarium. According to Shedd, Granddad and a female were fully grown when they arrived in Chicago from the Taronga Zoo and Aquarium in Sydney, Australia. Shedd Aquarium said it will conduct a full autopsy, even as early findings revealed that Granddad's condition was consistent with his geriatric age. Several weeks prior to Granddad's death, the Aquarium workers observed that the 100-year-old lungfish lost its appetite. "During his almost two-year hiatus in a reserve area, staff members repeatedly assured anxious aquarium members and other guests that their favorite lungfish was doing fine and would be back on view in a spacious new habitat recreating a Queensland riverbank ecosystem".
Inside Obama's quiet deal to help Australia with refugees
Trump allegedly told Turnbull it was "the worst deal ever" and Turnbull was attempting to export the "next Boston bombers". Attorney General Bill Barr addressed the agreement on the FOX Business Network's Cavuto: Coast to Coast.
"It's a sad week for us, and it's history for a lot of people", Collections manager of Granddad's care provider, Michelle Sattler said.
He enjoyed a layered cake filled with smelt, shrimp, yellow squash, carrots, potatoes, and green peas decorated with seaweed, esca-role and silversides for his 80 anniversary in September of 2013.
Pathologists have carried out a necropsy and "confirmed the fish's age-related deterioration", according to the aquarium.
- DHS Chief: Travel, Immigration Ban Should Have Been Delayed
- Donald Trump's pick for Army secretary drops out
- Orange County Businesses Reopen Following Water Emergency
- US Coast Guard to suspend search for Canadian 'Sharkwater' filmmaker
- VW and Bosch propose deals to settle U.S. diesel claims
- Myanmar army killed and raped in Rohingya ethnic cleansing
- IAAF taskforce recommends Russian Federation remain suspended
- Woman dies in Thailand jet ski crash while on holiday with boyfriend
- Final Fantasy XV Regained Its Development Costs Within a Day of Release
- Jordan Farmar Impresses Cavaliers In Workout