The Earth, sun and full moon will align in an nearly perfectly straight line Friday evening, creating a rare spectacle in the night sky: a penumbral eclipse.
Unlike the dramatic total eclipse of the moon, you can only see a subtle dark shadow on the moon during the penumbral version. Since it has always been hard to spot a penumbral eclipse, people can still detect Earth's shadows when the moon passes by.
Tonight, the moon will pass through the Earth's penumbra - the outer region of the Earth's shadow - which will cast a gray shadow over the surface of the moon. (If you can't find Hercules you wouldn't have seen the comet anyway.) You will need dark skies-no light pollution-and binoculars or a telescope to see Comet 45P. The February full moon is traditionally known as the "snow moon" for reasons that are probably obvious to anyone who has lived up north.
Unfortunately, much of the U.S. East Coast is forecasted to be blanketed by clouds.
In fact, if you stay up the entire night, there's a good chance you'll catch an eclipse, comet, and the "Snow Moon".
Oil industry can't stand another price collapse - Venezuela
As a result of the high compliance OPEC and non-OPEC cut, OECD storage should be back to the five-year average by June this year. Brent was on track for its first weekly drop in four weeks while US crude headed for its fourth straight week of gains.
The peak time for the eclipse will be Friday evening at about 6:45 pm. CNN has noted that this will only be a partial eclipse, so it will not be as remarkable as the blood moon eclipses. Friday night, something different will happen, in effect.
Comet 45P is visible as it flies by Earth.
Early Saturday morning, there'll be another space spectacle to behold as Comet 45P will be coming into view around 3 AM. The shadowing may be detectable as late as about 9:15 p.m. It will be a close encounter as these things go, passing within some 7 million miles.
However, it will be a little dim and will require binoculars or a small telescope to see.
- Fights to watch to get primed for UFC 208
- Henry backs Wenger stay despite Arsenal's 'mental problem'
- DHS Chief: Travel, Immigration Ban Should Have Been Delayed
- Greek debt will become 'explosive' within 13 years
- Republicans Introduce Bill to "Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency"
- San Francisco 49ers: How Kyle Shanahan Can Address the Quarterback Situation
- Three soldiers killed by Russian warplanes
- Former prime minister Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo declared Somalia's new president
- Commander of US Forces in Afghanistan Requests Thousands of Troops
- Three acquires UK Broadband for $373 million