The winter storm warning for the area will remain in effect until 6 p.m. Thursday night.
Canceled flights are listed on a screen at Logan International Airport in Boston as winter storm conditions begin during the early morning on February 9, 2017.
Another 1 to 3 inches of snow is in store for Boston by Saturday afternoon after over a foot of snow buried the city on Thursday.
The city's Emergency Management Department also issued a hazardous travel advisory.
In New Jersey, state police responded to almost 200 vehicle crashes from midnight to before noon.
At one point on Thursday, more than 40 million people were under some sort of winter weather watch or warning.
The snow is expected to start around midnight and last through early Thursday, beginning as rain, changing to a wintry mix and then becoming snow.
Thursday morning's commute may be snow-covered, with parts of DE seeing up to 6 inches of snow, according to the latest forecast by the National Weather Service.
Officials warned residents to avoid morning travel as heavy snow can make roads slick and unsafe.
March 1888: A four-day blizzard brought 21 inches of snow, and the aftermath of it was disastrous - it killed more than 200 people. The three NY area airports - LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy and Newark Liberty - saw hundreds of flights halted and delayed.
The good news is that the storm is expected to move out quickly. Blizzard warnings have been issued for coastal southeastern MA, including the Cape and Islands, and winter storm warnings have been posted for the remainder of the state.
Henry backs Wenger stay despite Arsenal's 'mental problem'
We fight with teams who invest much more than we have and we have to stick together and respond. We are in a pack that is very tight, where the fight for every position will be massive.
Temperatures will be highest in the morning, peaking in the mid-20s or lower 30s.
"We are now experiencing the worst of the storm", Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement.
Transit officials will monitor public transportation conditions throughout the day and more than 3,000 staffers are ready to shovel and plow. "So persons in the warning area are strongly advised to stay indoors". Boston canceled school on Friday, too.
CT canceled most court activities on Thursday.
The storm was expected to pack a punch, but it's not a nor'easter.
This storm is moving from west to east, from land out to sea, so it can't be classified as a nor'easter.
The region did have a nor'easter on January 24.
The storm crippled travel by ground and air, with conditions deteriorating rapidly as the rate of snowfall increased over the course of the morning.
New Yorkers will experience a bit of "weather whiplash".
Forecasters expect more than a 30-degree swing in 12 hours, as temperatures will fall to freezing or below in time for the heavy snow.
- Jeffrey Loria has a handshake agreement to sell the Marlins
- Census: Ottawa-Gatineau above national average: Pembroke and Smiths Falls lose population
- 'Iconic' and 'Loveable': Remembering An Elderly Lungfish Named 'Granddad'
- Iheanacho Dropped Again As Jesus Fires City Past Swansea
- CAS sanctions Russian athlete Savinova for 4 years for doping
- Final Fantasy XV Regained Its Development Costs Within a Day of Release
- Former prime minister Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo declared Somalia's new president
- Republicans Introduce Bill to "Terminate the Environmental Protection Agency"
- After Trump, White House releases list of 78 terror attacks 'under-reported'
- Oil industry can't stand another price collapse - Venezuela