DELPHI, Ind. (AP) - Authorities suspect foul play after two bodies were found along a northern IN creek amid a search for two missing teenage girls, police said Tuesday.
Two bodies were found in the search of two 13-year-old girls on a riverbank just hours after they posted a final eerie photo online while hiking in Indiana.
Kim Riley says a pathologist who began the autopsies Wednesday morning in Terre Haute was still performing them around noon Wednesday.
He would not comment on any injuries the bodies appear to have suffered.
Investigators didn't confirm if the bodies found on Tuesday were those of the missing teens, saying only that they believe foul play was suspected.
Police have yet to announce the bodies are those of Abigail Williams and Liberty German. They were reported missing hours later.
German posted a photo of Williams looking somber on a railroad bridge in Delphi, Indiana.
Report says more than 1900 bridges in OH are 'structurally deficient'
Pennsylvania landed the number two spot with 4,506 structurally deficient bridges, or 19.8 percent of their total bridges. Meanwhile, the District of Columbia had the least with 9 comprised bridges, followed by Nevada with 31 and DE with 43.
German's photo of Williams on Snapchat on Sunday is the last documentation of the girls. Law enforcement officials say they do suspect foul play.
They are of the two missing girls that went hiking Monday afternoon and never returned.
This is now considered a double homicide investigation.
"I know it's had a awful effect on our people and we are grieved this sort of thing would happen here in our community", Mullins said.
The superintendent for Delphi Community School said counseling services for students will be available throughout the district.
"It is a small community and the community is going to wrap its arms around these families and is going to take very good care of them", Briles said.
- Yahoo and Verizon 'near to agreeing revised sale terms'
- Stock to Track: Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)
- FEC commissioner wants Trump to show evidence of NH voter fraud
- China's Jan crude imports rise to third-highest on record
- Israel says will not admit Peru's fugitive ex-president
- Charles Oakley's Madison Square Garden ban lifted
- Former Chicago Cub Travis Wood Agrees to Deal with Royals
- 6 dead, at least 6 wounded in city shootings
- Pentagon strongly condemns North Korea missile test
- Consumer price inflation set to see upside pressure: Crisil