Congressman Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C., was narrowly confirmed by the Senate as President Donald Trump's budget director on Thursday.
Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, had been withholding backing for Mulvaney, conservative member of of the House from SC, but she said Wednesday that she would support him.
House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said Mulvaney will "improve the way government does the people's business". His "aye" vote sealed the nomination with 51 senators in favor.
McCain, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee that oversees defense programs, blasted Mulvaney in a Senate floor speech, saying the nominee had pursued "reckless budget strategies" that led to a partial government shutdown in 2013.
"I will vote to oppose Congressman Mulvaney's nomination because it would be irresponsible to place the future of the defense budget in the hands of a person with such a record and judgment on national security".
Report says more than 1900 bridges in OH are 'structurally deficient'
Pennsylvania landed the number two spot with 4,506 structurally deficient bridges, or 19.8 percent of their total bridges. Meanwhile, the District of Columbia had the least with 9 comprised bridges, followed by Nevada with 31 and DE with 43.
Mick Mulvaney, a tea party lawmaker from SC, is set for a narrow confirmation to the budget office on Thursday despite opposition from Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain.
U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a defense hawk, said he wasn't anxious about Mulvaney's record opposing spending increases for military operations.
Senator John McCain (R-AZ) speaks to reporters as he arrives for the Republican policy luncheon on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., February 14, 2017.
"He's never been a friend of the Appropriations Committee", Cochran said earlier.
McCain says Mulvaney has a "poor record on defense spending" that is "fundamentally at odds with President Trump's commitment to rebuild our military".
- "Ultra Street Fighter II" Introduces First-Person Mode on Switch
- Former Chicago Cub Travis Wood Agrees to Deal with Royals
- Coroner ID's Carroll County Bodies As Two Missing Teenage Girls
- Karlie Kloss Racist Photoshoot Draws Twitter Outrage - And An Apology
- Mexican detained in U.S. despite work permit
- Mitsubishi reveals all-new Eclipse Cross SUV
- Justin Bieber 'named as suspect in assault investigation'
- Stock to Track: Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)
- City keen to keep Aguero
- Police investigate 10-year-old boy's death in Topshop after furniture incident