In Washington, 172 people have died from flu-related illness this season, including 10 in Spokane County, according to the latest report from the Washington Department of Health. Federal health officials said this week that this year's flu vaccine appears to be fairly effective against the most common strains this season.
Flu season is still in full swing across the mid-south and the Shelby County Health Department is trying to make getting a flu shot easier. It is important that those who have underlying health conditions or may be caregivers of high-risk individuals check with their physicians or healthcare providers about antiviral medications that might help them recover more quickly from the flu.
The flu vaccine offers the best way to protect yourself against the flu. In addition to the vaccine, there are steps you can take to stop the spread of influenza, including covering your cough, staying home when you are sick, and washing your hands frequently, especially after being out in the public.
Stock to Track: Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)
The cell phone carrier reported $0.86 earnings per share (EPS) for the quarter, missing the consensus estimate of $0.89 by $0.03. Solaris Asset Management LLC purchased a new position in Verizon Communications during the third quarter worth about $125,000.
But the researchers also found this shot may be more effective in some age groups than others. Antivirals also can prevent serious flu complications that could land you in the hospital.
Flu activity, which so far is categorized as moderate, is expected to continue for several more weeks.
Dallas County leads the way in overall flu activity.
- Trump Chooses Former NLRB Member Alexander Acosta for Labor
- Miami Dolphins trying to trade Branden Albert before releasing him
- 6 dead, at least 6 wounded in city shootings
- Karlie Kloss Racist Photoshoot Draws Twitter Outrage - And An Apology
- Russian spy ship spotted just off CT coast
- New talks seek to end Syria's war after almost six years
- Justin Bieber 'named as suspect in assault investigation'
- Melania Trump Still Adjusting As First Lady
- Yahoo and Verizon 'near to agreeing revised sale terms'
- Beware exploding whales: New Zealand issues warning after mass stranding