In Washington, 172 people have died from flu-related illness this season, including 10 in Spokane County, according to the latest report from the Washington Department of Health. Federal health officials said this week that this year's flu vaccine appears to be fairly effective against the most common strains this season.
Flu season is still in full swing across the mid-south and the Shelby County Health Department is trying to make getting a flu shot easier. It is important that those who have underlying health conditions or may be caregivers of high-risk individuals check with their physicians or healthcare providers about antiviral medications that might help them recover more quickly from the flu.
The flu vaccine offers the best way to protect yourself against the flu. In addition to the vaccine, there are steps you can take to stop the spread of influenza, including covering your cough, staying home when you are sick, and washing your hands frequently, especially after being out in the public.
Bomb Blast in Pakistan's Sindh province kills 30; over 50 injured
Jamaat-ul-Ahrar, or Freedom Movement, claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message sent to The Associated Press. Reacting to the shocking news, Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif said, "My heart is with the victims.
But the researchers also found this shot may be more effective in some age groups than others. Antivirals also can prevent serious flu complications that could land you in the hospital.
Flu activity, which so far is categorized as moderate, is expected to continue for several more weeks.
Dallas County leads the way in overall flu activity.
- With Samsung chief's arrest, three executives in spotlight
- "Ultra Street Fighter II" Introduces First-Person Mode on Switch
- Beware exploding whales: New Zealand issues warning after mass stranding
- Russian spy ship spotted just off CT coast
- Stock to Track: Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ)
- Coroner ID's Carroll County Bodies As Two Missing Teenage Girls
- Bouchard Dates Fan After Losing Bet
- Justin Bieber 'named as suspect in assault investigation'
- Police investigate 10-year-old boy's death in Topshop after furniture incident
- Kim Jong-nam's death raises speculation about motive, impact