But when police say the suspect took the officer's baton and began to repeatedly hit the officer in the head with it, Williams-Tillman couldn't just sit back and wait.
Vickie Williams-Tillman, 56, was in her auto early Sunday morning when she saw a man violently beating an officer during a traffic stop, according to Baton Rouge police.
The suspect, Thomas Bennett, had been found by the officer asleep in his vehicle with drug paraphernalia and became aggressive when apprehended.
"You don't have time to think about it.I did what God needed me to do".
Bennett was arrested on multiple charges, including aggravated battery, resisting arrest, disarming an officer and drug possession, WBRZ reported.
Mrs. Williams-Tillman was taken to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center with minor injuries to her wrist.
Along her way, she noticed an officer on the side of the road, arguing with an angry-looking man.
'Flip or Flop' stars Tarek, Christina El Moussa dish on split
He is now in remission now, but chose to come out about his testicular cancer in order to raise awareness of the disease. Tarek opens up to Sheinelle Jones and Al Roker on his career, his battle with cancer and his split with Christina.
A 29-year-old Baton Rouge mother remembered for her generosity and kind personality was shot...
When the officer didn't respond, Williams-Tillman "locked eyes" with him and realized that he could not speak. He said Williams-Tillman helped Aime regain control of the situation.
Vickie Williams-Tillman, 56, was being hailed as a hero, The Advocate reported.
Williams-Tillman told the Advocate that she was driving to Sam's Club on Sunday morning when she witnessed the disturbance.
The officer and Williams-Tillman embraced in a hug after they were both treated at the hospital.
After embracing the diminutive and teary-eyed Williams-Tillman at the press conference, Aime also grew emotional, his voice cracking as he thanked her, saying, "This is a true hero right here that saved my life".
Instead, she jumped out of her vehicle and onto the suspect's back. Several minutes later, additional officers arrived and were able to Taser the suspect. "For showing so much love and concern for one of our officers BRPDSalutes you!"
- Annual Florida manatee count breaks record for third year in a row
- Rockets fired into southern Israel from Egypt's Sinai
- Children with ADHD have some smaller brain regions, study shows
- Kelly Says New Immigration Order Will Vet in More Reliable Way
- Oakland Active Shooter: Man Armed With Rifle Detained; Interstate Reopens
- Bomb Blast in Pakistan's Sindh province kills 30; over 50 injured
- Jan Vertonghen: 'Tottenham Hotspur deserve a trophy'
- Samsung's Acting Chief Arrested In South Korea's Deepening Corruption Probe
- Matt Damon climbs the not-so-great 'Wall'
- U.S. embassy in Kiev critical of Moscow order on Ukrainian documentation