Policemen shot the lorry cab's front window and brought the driver to a halt after a high-speed chase during which some of the gas containers had fallen off the trailer, with one person reported injured by a falling canister.
Molinero said police started chasing the truck after the driver failed to obey orders to stop from police who had seen it driving at high speeds and dropping part of its load.
The vehicle is said to have rammed several cars near the city's harbour before police fired shots to stop it, according to Spanish media.
But it soon emerged that this was no planned attack, with the 32-year-old Swede likely intoxicated.
Eyewitness Jordi Sintes told La Vanguardia: "We heard the sirens, and then a very strong blow".
'We all turned and saw the butane truck braking suddenly at the entrance to the Round. Two motorbikes from the police force followed it.
Children with ADHD have some smaller brain regions, study shows
The team found those with ADHD had smaller brain volumes in the accumbens, amygdala, caudate, hippocampus and putamen regions. They concluded that this common illness should be considered an issue of the brain caused by delayed maturation.
Spanish police are always awaiting the results to determine whether he consumed drugs as well as alcohol before his insane drive through Barcelona.
"They got off and pointed the driver with their pistols". He has opened his arms and then three Mossos have arrived and they have done it.
'In a matter of minutes, cops appeared from all directions - some with machine guns. "And in less than five minutes they had him handcuffed".
Spain's interior minister, Juan Ignacio Zoido, said in a tweet that the man, a Swedish citizen, has a history of psychiatric conditions and added that "it has not been any terrorist act".
The spokeswoman would not confirm the gunshots but said the driver was being interrogated.
Spain has kept its national security alert to one step below maximum since July 2015.
- Trump Chooses Former NLRB Member Alexander Acosta for Labor
- President Trump Defends Retired Gen. Michael Flynn
- Roman Polanski Seeks Sealed Transcript in Renewed Bid for US Return
- Samsung's Acting Chief Arrested In South Korea's Deepening Corruption Probe
- Oakland Active Shooter: Man Armed With Rifle Detained; Interstate Reopens
- Looks at $143 billion acquisition of Unilever
- Miami Dolphins trying to trade Branden Albert before releasing him
- U.S. embassy in Kiev critical of Moscow order on Ukrainian documentation
- Matt Damon climbs the not-so-great 'Wall'
- Michigan State sports doctor Larry Nassar ordered to stand trial