Policemen shot the lorry cab's front window and brought the driver to a halt after a high-speed chase during which some of the gas containers had fallen off the trailer, with one person reported injured by a falling canister.
Molinero said police started chasing the truck after the driver failed to obey orders to stop from police who had seen it driving at high speeds and dropping part of its load.
The vehicle is said to have rammed several cars near the city's harbour before police fired shots to stop it, according to Spanish media.
But it soon emerged that this was no planned attack, with the 32-year-old Swede likely intoxicated.
Eyewitness Jordi Sintes told La Vanguardia: "We heard the sirens, and then a very strong blow".
'We all turned and saw the butane truck braking suddenly at the entrance to the Round. Two motorbikes from the police force followed it.
Baton Rouge PD thanks woman for helping police officer
Williams-Tillman told the Advocate that she was driving to Sam's Club on Sunday morning when she witnessed the disturbance. When the officer didn't respond, Williams-Tillman "locked eyes" with him and realized that he could not speak.
Spanish police are always awaiting the results to determine whether he consumed drugs as well as alcohol before his insane drive through Barcelona.
"They got off and pointed the driver with their pistols". He has opened his arms and then three Mossos have arrived and they have done it.
'In a matter of minutes, cops appeared from all directions - some with machine guns. "And in less than five minutes they had him handcuffed".
Spain's interior minister, Juan Ignacio Zoido, said in a tweet that the man, a Swedish citizen, has a history of psychiatric conditions and added that "it has not been any terrorist act".
The spokeswoman would not confirm the gunshots but said the driver was being interrogated.
Spain has kept its national security alert to one step below maximum since July 2015.
- Looks at $143 billion acquisition of Unilever
- Miami Dolphins trying to trade Branden Albert before releasing him
- Jan Vertonghen: 'Tottenham Hotspur deserve a trophy'
- Michigan State sports doctor Larry Nassar ordered to stand trial
- ICE detains domestic violence victim in court
- Second Suspect Arrested In Death Of N. Korean Dictator's Half-Brother
- Roman Polanski Seeks Sealed Transcript in Renewed Bid for US Return
- Zuckerberg envisions Facebook as a 'global community'
- Samsung's Acting Chief Arrested In South Korea's Deepening Corruption Probe
- What's open, closed on President's Day 2017?