The Iraqi air force struck Islamic State group targets inside neighbouring Syria, the country's prime minister said on Friday.
"Yes we were aware, yes we supported it as well with information", Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis told reporters.
The offensive to regain the western half of Mosul started six days ago, and the assault on the airport and military base, which started early Thursday was closely backed by airstrikes and ground support from US -led coalition forces.
The two-pronged advance is part of a USA -baked offensive aimed at driving the Islamic State group from western Mosul.
Meanwhile, Iraqi forces also secured the Ghozlani army base in southwest Mosul.
Iraqi Federal policemen celebrate while standing between the liberated airport and sugar plant in western Mosul, Iraq, Feb. 24.
By early afternoon, federal police commander Maj.
While the fight in Mosul rages on, the Popular Mobilization Force - a mostly Shiite militia that has formally been made part of the Iraqi armed forces - moved into position in the west, between the nearby ISIS-held town of Tal Afar and the Syrian border, where they're being supported by Iraqi air force F-16s.
South Africa send Black Caps in to bat
After adding 40 runs with skipper Kane Williamson (69), Brownlie was trapped LBW by Dwaine Pretorius (2-40) in the 13th over. Jimmy Neesham provided the fireworks for the home crowd with his 71 not out (57 balls, 6 fours).
Iraq's second city, a critical Isis stronghold split by the Tigris river, is divided between government forces holding the eastern bank of the city and Isis in command of the western side.
Global relations professor Houchang Hassan-Yari of the Royal Military College of Canada told VOA's Persian service the concentration of civilians in western Mosul will make it harder for Iraqi government forces and their coalition allies to retake that part of the city.
The burnt corpses of two militants and the motorcycle from which they had fired at Iraqi forces were lying under a tree, apparently hit by an air strike.
The presence of up to 750,000 civilians will also pose a challenge.
Iraq's Joint Operations Command said in a separate statement that the F16 fighter jets destroyed Daesh positions and headquarters in Hosaiba and Albu Kamal on Friday morning. He said the Iraqis have advanced further than where coalition planners thought they would be by the end of the first day of fighting.
After taking the eastern half of the city, Iraqi forces halted operations for three weeks in order to form a strategy that would retake the city's western half.
- Macron gains boost from key centrist in French election
- Spanish police shoot at speeding truck loaded with gas bottles in Barcelona
- JCPenney Announces Closure Of As Many As 140 Stores
- Foo Fighters hiatus is officially over, watch their comeback show
- Rockets fired into southern Israel from Egypt's Sinai
- Baton Rouge PD thanks woman for helping police officer
- Michael Flynn unlikely to face charges for lying to Federal Bureau of Investigation , sources say
- KCR accorded tumultuous welcome on his maiden visit to Tirupati
- Owner of Burger King, Tim Hortons to Buy Popeyes for $1800000000
- Simone Biles and Mr. T Are Joining Dancing with the Stars