Besides the toppling of headstones at the Rochester cemetery, images of the deceased embedded on at least half a dozen headstones had been scratched away, although it was not clear how long ago, said Karen Elam, the director of community relations at the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester.
Add Rochester to the ever-growing list of US cities to have their Jewish cemeteries vandalized.
The State Police Hate Crimes Task Force, in partnership with federal and local authorities, have launched aggressive investigations into reported hate crimes across the state.
Cuomo's direction comes a day after he appeared in Albany to decry bomb threats called into Jewish Community Centers across the country, including two threats to the Albany JCC.
"When you talk of really ugly, reprehensible behavior, I don't think there's anything worse than racist activity, bigoted activity and targeting facilities that serve our children", he said.
Headstones were toppled at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery, also known as the Stone Road Cemetery, in Rochester, N.Y.
More Flu Deaths Reported in NC Last Week
Flu activity across the U.S. surged in early February, and infections could continue to increase until March according to the U.S. Health officials say young children, and the elderly are the most susceptible to the outbreak of this virus.
Cuomo said the trip's goal is part economic development - to discuss "technology and joint ventures that we're working on" - as well as to show New York's support for Jewish people.
"But I'm also going to bring a message of solidarity, and I want to say that to the people of Israel, and I want to say to that the Jewish community". "This is repugnant to everything we believe as New Yorkers".
Cuomo repeated that he's set up a special unit in the state police to investigate the crimes and other hate crimes, and has created a fund for a $5,000 reward for information leading to the prosecution of anyone involved in the incidents.
"These acts of anti-Semitism must be attacked by all of us", Cuomo said. "I don't want to label it a hate crime".
The Albany JCC was one of a number throughout the state that received bomb threats in recent days.
- LG & Valve To Team Up For MEGA VR Headset
- Jennifer Aniston remembers Bill Paxton in Oscars tribute
- David Haye, Tony Bellew Kept Apart By Security
- Microsoft confirms two major Windows 10 updates coming in 2017
- IPhone 8 to get OLED screen and USB Type-C?
- Spotify Hi-Fi in limited testing for a premium price
- Analyst says all 2017 iPhones to feature Lightning ports and fast charging
- You're going to be obsessed with Lorde's new single "Green Light"
- Russian Federation denies accidentally bombing SDF forces in northern Syria
- FCC votes to block internet privacy rule