Per a league source, the Colts have traded tight end Dwayne Allen to New England.
The Patriots will also get a sixth-round pick in this year's draft from the Colts in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick, ESPN.com reported.
Allen is 27 years old and has three years left on contract for about $17.4 million.
As for the Patriots, the addition of Allen pretty much means there's a zero percent chance that Bennett will be returning to New England in 2017.
The Patriots have acquired tight end Dwayne Allen in a trade. Allen's remaining cap hits are $4,937,500 in 2017, $5 million in 2018 and $7.4 million in 2019. Bennett, who is a free agent, played a big role for the Patriots after Rob Gronkowski suffered a season-ending back injury.
Daycare worker accused of pushing 4-year-old girl down stairs
Chitwood said Monday that he planned to request that an additional charge of recklessly endangering another person be added. As the 52-year-old bends over she spies the recently installed security camera and freezes momentarily.
Roughly 24 hours prior to the opening of free agency, the Patriots are making a major splash in the trade market. Removing his 2013 season, which was restricted to one game due to a hip injury, Allen has averaged 31.3 catches for 357.8 yards per season over his career.
If the Patriots still use a high pick on a tight end, it could, if anything, imply the team is eventually willing to move on from Gronkowski. As long as Josh McDaniels is the offensive coordinator in New England, he'll want to use his two tight end sets to help make things easier for quarterback Tom Brady in the passing game.
Allen isn't Gronkowski or Bennett as a receiver, but he's a starting-caliber player, and he'll receive far more snaps than Lengel or Williams would have in the offense.
In five seasons, Allen has sprinkled flashes of brilliances with periods of mediocrity.
- #WheresTheBill: Congress on goose chase to find secret GOP health bill
- McDonald's to launch ordering app, expand delivery
- Shiv Sena's Vishwanath Mahadeshwar elected as the BMC Mayor
- Subway says new study proves its chicken is chicken
- Mother allegedly tried to drown two sons in Murray River
- Justin Thomas makes LONG hole-in-one to tie WGC-Mexico lead
- Some in local Jewish community support Gov. Cuomo's trip to Israel
- China to increase defence budget by 7%
- US to open CONCACAF Gold Cup against Panama on July 8
- GBP USD Exchange Rate Crashes as Near-Term Fed Rate Hike Odds Rise