Per a league source, the Colts have traded tight end Dwayne Allen to New England.
The Patriots will also get a sixth-round pick in this year's draft from the Colts in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick, ESPN.com reported.
Allen is 27 years old and has three years left on contract for about $17.4 million.
As for the Patriots, the addition of Allen pretty much means there's a zero percent chance that Bennett will be returning to New England in 2017.
The Patriots have acquired tight end Dwayne Allen in a trade. Allen's remaining cap hits are $4,937,500 in 2017, $5 million in 2018 and $7.4 million in 2019. Bennett, who is a free agent, played a big role for the Patriots after Rob Gronkowski suffered a season-ending back injury.
Supreme Court Sends Gavin Grimm Transgender Rights Case Back to Appeals Court
The Obama administration had also cited the court ruling in its transgender lawsuit against North Carolina's bathroom law. A federal judge in Texas later issued a nationwide stay against enforcing the Obama administration's interpretation.
Roughly 24 hours prior to the opening of free agency, the Patriots are making a major splash in the trade market. Removing his 2013 season, which was restricted to one game due to a hip injury, Allen has averaged 31.3 catches for 357.8 yards per season over his career.
If the Patriots still use a high pick on a tight end, it could, if anything, imply the team is eventually willing to move on from Gronkowski. As long as Josh McDaniels is the offensive coordinator in New England, he'll want to use his two tight end sets to help make things easier for quarterback Tom Brady in the passing game.
Allen isn't Gronkowski or Bennett as a receiver, but he's a starting-caliber player, and he'll receive far more snaps than Lengel or Williams would have in the offense.
In five seasons, Allen has sprinkled flashes of brilliances with periods of mediocrity.
- USA to temporarily suspend premium processing of H1-B visas
- Chelsea Extends Victor Moses Contract
- #WheresTheBill: Congress on goose chase to find secret GOP health bill
- Donegal Senator joins Sinn Fein party at Stormont ahead of negotiations
- McDonald's to launch ordering app, expand delivery
- Here's the latest on the Patriots' reported asking price for Jimmy Garoppolo
- Afghan family detained in Los Angeles are asking for release
- GBP USD Exchange Rate Crashes as Near-Term Fed Rate Hike Odds Rise
- US to open CONCACAF Gold Cup against Panama on July 8
- Dubai Duty Free Tennis: Verdasco takes positives from final