Mahadeshwar, a three-time Sena corproator from suburban Santacruz, said he would try to tackle these issues with the collective efforts of all parties.
Mumbai: Shiv Sena candidate Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has been appointed as Mumbai's Mayor on Wednesday.
While both parties managed to include more corporators into their fold since then, they fell short of the magical figure of 114 seats, which is required to win a clear majority and elect a Mayor. Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena won 84 seats of the 227 seats in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation elections happened in February, while the BJP finished second with 82 seats.
BJP, Shiv Sena indulged in heated sloganeering against each other during the mayoral elections.
Away from Mumbai, the BJP swept Maharashtra, with victories in Pune, Nagpur, Amravati, Akola, Solapur, Ulhasnagar, Pimpri-Chinchwad and Nashik.
Replying to a petition moved against him in the small causes court by two rival candidates alleging suppression of information while filing nomination for BMC polls, Mahadeshwar said he has not received any notices regarding it.
Justin Thomas makes LONG hole-in-one to tie WGC-Mexico lead
RORY McILROY is poised to end Dustin Johnson's spell as world No 1 - after just two weeks. Another Englishman, Andy Sullivan, is on five under after a 65.
On the political front, he will have to face an aggressive BJP, which has just two members less than Sena in the civic house.
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had announced last week that the BJP corporators would vote for the Sena nominee if required.
As the BJP has 82 corporators in the BMC, it will get equal representation in the standing, education, improvement and BEST committees. The final tally saw Mahadeshwar winning 171 out of 218 votes - made by a show of hands.
The mayoral election was conducted by current mayor Snehal Ambekar.
Mahadeshwar, 56, a former principal of Raje Sambhaji Vidyalaya and Junior College in Mumbai, was elected from the Bandra ward in the recent civic elections. However, the Konkan Divisional Caste Scrutiny Committee said it was unable to establish that he was actually from the Vaishyawani caste.
- GM sale of Opel to PSA to be announced Monday
- What are analysts Suggestions on: General Motors Company (NYSE:GM)
- USA to temporarily suspend premium processing of H1-B visas
- David Haye Released From Hospital Following Tony Bellew Fight
- Mark Hunt KOd by Alistair Overeem
- Pence calls on AP to apologize over wife's publicized email
- Bilic keen to learn from West Ham's turbulent season
- Tune In Sunday For WWE 'Fastlane' Live Results And Recap
- Here's the latest on the Patriots' reported asking price for Jimmy Garoppolo
- US to open CONCACAF Gold Cup against Panama on July 8