Mahadeshwar, a three-time Sena corproator from suburban Santacruz, said he would try to tackle these issues with the collective efforts of all parties.
Mumbai: Shiv Sena candidate Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has been appointed as Mumbai's Mayor on Wednesday.
While both parties managed to include more corporators into their fold since then, they fell short of the magical figure of 114 seats, which is required to win a clear majority and elect a Mayor. Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena won 84 seats of the 227 seats in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation elections happened in February, while the BJP finished second with 82 seats.
BJP, Shiv Sena indulged in heated sloganeering against each other during the mayoral elections.
Away from Mumbai, the BJP swept Maharashtra, with victories in Pune, Nagpur, Amravati, Akola, Solapur, Ulhasnagar, Pimpri-Chinchwad and Nashik.
Replying to a petition moved against him in the small causes court by two rival candidates alleging suppression of information while filing nomination for BMC polls, Mahadeshwar said he has not received any notices regarding it.
Mother allegedly tried to drown two sons in Murray River
He told reporters that the case was "just awful ", before going on to say that "it will rock the community of Australia". The 27-year-old mother with a troubled history seems more known about than really known in the town of 8000 people.
On the political front, he will have to face an aggressive BJP, which has just two members less than Sena in the civic house.
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis had announced last week that the BJP corporators would vote for the Sena nominee if required.
As the BJP has 82 corporators in the BMC, it will get equal representation in the standing, education, improvement and BEST committees. The final tally saw Mahadeshwar winning 171 out of 218 votes - made by a show of hands.
The mayoral election was conducted by current mayor Snehal Ambekar.
Mahadeshwar, 56, a former principal of Raje Sambhaji Vidyalaya and Junior College in Mumbai, was elected from the Bandra ward in the recent civic elections. However, the Konkan Divisional Caste Scrutiny Committee said it was unable to establish that he was actually from the Vaishyawani caste.
- McDonald's to launch ordering app, expand delivery
- Donegal Senator joins Sinn Fein party at Stormont ahead of negotiations
- Dwayne Allen to be traded to Patriots
- Justin Thomas makes LONG hole-in-one to tie WGC-Mexico lead
- Pence calls on AP to apologize over wife's publicized email
- Tune In Sunday For WWE 'Fastlane' Live Results And Recap
- What are analysts Suggestions on: General Motors Company (NYSE:GM)
- GBP USD Exchange Rate Crashes as Near-Term Fed Rate Hike Odds Rise
- Some in local Jewish community support Gov. Cuomo's trip to Israel
- Supreme Court Sends Gavin Grimm Transgender Rights Case Back to Appeals Court