Police in Germany sealed off Duesseldorf's main railway station late on Thursday evening following reports of an axe attack.
He killed 12 people, including the lorry's registered Polish driver, and was shot dead four days later in Italy after firing first at police there.
Earlier, Bruno Macedo tweeted from a train stuck outside the station: "Man with axe chased by police in Dusseldorf".
Chris Bucher is a sports, politics and general news contributor to Heavy.
Hawaiian Airlines plane diverts to Los Angeles over blanket incident
Passenger Claudia Rodriguez, a Dallas resident, said the airline did not provide much information during the incident. Airport officers met the aircraft at the gate and conducted an investigation with the FBI.
Police spokesman Rainer Kerstiens told The Associated Press that around five people were hurt.
A police spokesman said more suspected attackers are believed to be at large. The rail station remained shut down, he added.
An amateur video apparently shot from the scene showed a shell-shocked eye-witness walking around blood stained floors as police tended to a wounded person on the ground.
Terrified passengers have taken to social media to say the situation inside the station "looks bad".
- McDonald's to launch ordering app, expand delivery
- Mother allegedly tried to drown two sons in Murray River
- Pence calls on AP to apologize over wife's publicized email
- Bilic keen to learn from West Ham's turbulent season
- GM sale of Opel to PSA to be announced Monday
- Some in local Jewish community support Gov. Cuomo's trip to Israel
- Justin Thomas makes LONG hole-in-one to tie WGC-Mexico lead
- Chelsea Extends Victor Moses Contract
- FCC probing AT&T Wednesday night 911 outage
- Tune In Sunday For WWE 'Fastlane' Live Results And Recap