It is official: Durban has lost the rights to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
The CGF said they had completed their review of the "final information" submitted by South Africa on November 30 to determine whether their proposals for hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games are consistent with their original bid commitments and the host city contract.
Last month, the South African sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the city may not be able to host the event because of financial constraints.
Reports had suggested that the CGF was weighing up its options and that a decision was expected this week, but on Monday afternoon reports across the country began calling the news.
The CGF executive board was holding a scheduled meeting in London on Monday with the future of the 2022 Games on the agenda.
"The Commonwealth Games Federation is looking for an alternative to Durban‚" he wrote.
Mass Effect Andromeda Launch Trailer Arrives for Serious Galactic Hype
Despite the game being a few weeks away from launch, the developers have gone ahead and released the trailer anyways. Just 11 days before it's release date, Bioware unveiled the official launch trailer for Mass Effect: Andromeda.
Liverpool has an expressed an interest in staging the event.
Sascoc president Gideon Sam confirmed the news, saying the news was a disappointment to the country and the entire continent.
"We wouldn't want to be starting from scratch", she said. Liverpool has publicly put their names forward and‚ during early reports that Durban's hosting was under threat‚ rumours circulated that Sri Lanka was also interested.
"We gave it our best shot but we can't go beyond".
A final decision is expected from the Commonwealth Games Federation in the next few days, but the BBC reports that "Liverpool, which is bidding to host the 2026 games, has now offered to step in if Durban can not host".
CGF President Martin noted, "Launching the Queen's Baton Relay on Commonwealth Day at Buckingham Palace is a fitting start to an inclusive and inspiring community relay that connects our diverse Commonwealth in celebration and anticipation of the next Games".
- Ciara Reportedly Involved in Car Crash in LA
- Man with axe 'injures several in Dusseldorf train station rampage'
- WH Spokesman: Trump Doesn't Really Think 'Obama Tapped His Phone Personally'
- German shopping centre shut by police over attack fears
- Akhilesh hints at tie-up between SP-Cong alliance and BSP?
- Cummings, Trump meeting on drug prices back on
- Alex Rodriguez And Jennifer Lopez "Keeping Company"
- Vine Young set to sign with team in Canada
- Hawaiian Airlines plane diverts to Los Angeles over blanket incident
- FCC probing AT&T Wednesday night 911 outage