A MA girl suffered second- and third-degree burns after playing with homemade slime.
"It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen Quinn explained.
Her mother Siobhan told CBS: 'She was crying in pain, "My hands hurt, my hands hurt"'.
Kathleen Quinn was making homemade slime when she says her hands started hurting. "When we looked at them, they were covered in blisters".
"In some ways, I'm not really surprised because, prolonged contact with any kind of chemical can lead to either chemical burns or an allergic reaction", said Dr. Max Gomez.
Her parents rushed her to the hospital, where she was found to have suffered second and third degree burns on her hands.
It was determined that the burns came from the extended handling of Borax, which is an ingredient in homemade slime.
Borax has been used safely for decades as a detergent, but it comes with warnings right on the box.
Canada Will Legalize Marijuana By July 1, 2018
Curiously, it was in Kelowna, two years after the shootout, that Trudeau pledged to legalize recreational use of marijuana. The federal government would set the legal minimum age to purchase pot at 18, though provinces could set a higher limit.
"So we believe that it's something that should be used exclusively for its intended objective as a cleaner or a laundry booster, not as something for children, particularly, young children, to play around with in making things like slime".
Kathleen's mother said her daughter had made the slime many times before without issue.
The gooey stuff has been around for a while, but it surged in popularity this year as more parents and kids began to share their creations on social media. And most children make it and play with it over and over and never suffer any injuries.
A quick YouTube search produces several slime or "gak" recipes using borax mixed with glue, water and food coloring.
She told WECT6 that she hopes other parents will take note of the potentially harmful effects of the project.
"I feel awful", Siobhan told the news outlet.
Borax, also known as sodium tetraborate, is a short-term irritant when exposed to skin or eyes. In February, a mother in the United Kingdom posted Facebook photos of her daughter's burned, peeling hands.
- Malaysia hunting for more N. Korean suspects in Kim's death
- China's militarization of artificial islands nears completion
- Bulgaria beats Netherlands 2-0 in World Cup qualifier
- You can now share your location with friends in Facebook Messenger
- USA women's hockey players hoping for wage dispute resolution
- Douglas County ranked seventh healthiest county in Kansas in new report
- Browns coach Jackson likes private workouts, not pro days
- Eminem's Daughter Hailie Is All Grown Up - and Stunning! See Her Photos
- S. Korean prosecutors to seek arrest warrant for ex-president Park
- NCAA Final Four: It's Pacific Northwest vs. the Carolinas