Chasing a target of 185, Pune crossed the line with just one ball to spare.
While Dhoni would be desperate to prove a point with his blazing blade - a fitting reply for being stripped off captaincy, Smith will look to forget Australia's 1-2 loss against India in a draining Test series recently. However, after the game turned in the favour of Rising Pune Supergiant with Smith hitting two sixes in a tense finish with Dhoni being at the non-striker's end, Harsh Goenka's tweet irked the Indian fans who panned him on Twitter.
Smith and Rahane stitched 58 runs for the second wicket from seven overs to lay the foundation for the run chase.
Ajinkya Rahane played a fantastic knock as well by scoring a half-century and gave RPS the flawless start.
I thought Smith batted really well.
As good as Stokes is, though, Smith was going to be the key, and MI gave the RPS captain a life with Rana, who took a great catch to dismiss Rahane, dropping the Australian on 36.
Jos Buttler (38) smashed three boundaries and three sixes in his knock.
TxDot launches "Talk, Text, Crash" campaign
Police handed out 60 tickets overall in Chilliwack for the month-long campaign and 36 of those were for distracted driving. Gray said Greenwich Police could could give out endless tickets for texting and driving and never do any other police work.
He lost Ben Stokes for 21 in the 16th over, to a catch by Tim Southee, who then dropped Mahendra Singh Dhoni on 9 in the penultimate over.
RPSG go into the game with a strong batting lineup, with the likes of Steve Smith, Faf du Plessis, Ajinkya Rahane, and MS Dhoni taking guard.
South African Tahir (3/28), who was unsold in the IPL auction and drafted in the Pune team as a late replacement, triggered a top-order collapse after Mumbai's rollicking start after they were put into bat. Dinda conceded 57 in his four overs but would have had a wicket in his first over if Rajat Bhatia hadn't dropped opener Parthiv Patel.
Introduced in the fifth over, Tahir struck in his second ball when he bowled Patel round his legs before packing Mumbai skipper Rohit Sharma (3) and Buttler in his next over to reduce Mumbai to 62/3.
Just two balls later, Tahir dismissed opener Buttler in an LBW decision to rock the Mumbai innings.
Steve Smith continued his supreme run of form as he guided his side to victory in a nail-biting thriller against the Mumbai Indians in the 2 match of the Indian Premier League 2017.
- Kona revealed as name for Hyundai's new compact SUV
- Lesson Learned: Can Trump Build Consensus on Tax Cuts?
- Louis CK: Trump is a 'gross, crook, dirty, rotten, lying sack...'
- Ralph Lauren to shut down Fifth Avenue Polo store
- Maharashtra: Bhira records blistering 46.5 degrees Celsius, IMD raises doubts
- Markets Right Now: US stocks are off to a mixed start
- College Student Dies After Choking At Charity Pancake-Eating Competition
- US Cellular Offering Samsung Galaxy S8 For Free On A Simple Term
- South Carolina wins 1st national title, beats Miss
- North Korea may have tested new technology in latest missile