Alvaro Zabaleta of the Miami-Dade Police Department said in an email to news organizations that detectives were called to the scene of a shooting along South Lejeune Road in Coral Gables.
Another trainer at the fitness center told one of his members the shooting involved a disgruntled former employee.
Benedicte, the woman at the gym, described the shooter as a tall, muscular African-American man.
Police said the shooter is dead, The Miami Herald reported - and it is believed that he committed suicide after firing his gun.
Anais Michelle said she was walking into the mall with her mother when she saw people coming down from the third level, some crying about a shooting at the gym.
A gunman opened fire inside an Equinox fitness club at the Village of Merrick Park in Coral Gables, Florida, around 1 p.m. on Saturday - leaving two people injured, multiple outlets report. "There was a dance class of 40 people if he wanted to do that".
Klopp wants Liverpool to copy Chelsea blueprint
There was more bad news for Klopp with Philippe Coutinho emerging as a major doubt for Saturday's trip to Stoke . "Phil is still ill".
Witnesses at the nearby Soul Cycle heard several gunshots.
"They said run, and I ran", said the woman, who declined to identify herself to an AP reporter.
"So that's exactly what we did", said Tim Hartog, the restaurant's general manager.
"We had everyone underneath tables and got everyone to the back", he said.
The scene is now secure, according to the Miami Dade Police Department, but the stores at the mall will remain closed. On April 8, 2017, there was a shooting at the Equinox gym at the shopping center.
- Louis CK: Trump is a 'gross, crook, dirty, rotten, lying sack...'
- Markets Right Now: US stocks are off to a mixed start
- Kim Kardashian considering surrogacy
- Flood-like situation in J&K with non-stop rain, snowfall
- House braces for marathon debate on the Texas budget
- GST Bills passed in Rajya Sabha without amendments
- Kendrick Lamar's Big Tease Was For...His New Album's Release Date
- EU regulators approve Fox plans to buy Sky
- Silva delights at 'best' Hull performance with Boro win
- Daily recess wins approval in Senate but faces fight in House