Players and league personnel are prohibited from making promotional appearances at casinos or other gambling-related establishments, per ESPN. The degree to which the league penalized and fined players for celebrating touchdowns drew so much criticism in 2016 that steps have been taken to loosen the restrictions on what is considered an excessive celebration.
The NFL's gambling policy has been in the spotlight lately because of the Raiders' approved move to Las Vegas. Besides, with the Raiders moving to Vegas and so numerous appropriate event spaces in town being part of casinos, it seems like a bit much. That would also be the Las Vegas which in 2020 will become the future home of the Oakland Raiders. According to league vice president of communcations Joe Lockhart, none of the players contacted the NFL prior to their involvement.
The real problem here with both the arm wrestling deal and the moribund fantasy football convention is that the NFL didn't have any skin in the game or a piece of the potential pie. The primary drivers of Las Vegas' economy are tourism and gaming.
Klopp wants Liverpool to copy Chelsea blueprint
There was more bad news for Klopp with Philippe Coutinho emerging as a major doubt for Saturday's trip to Stoke . "Phil is still ill".
The reason for the forthcoming fines is that players are banned from participating in events at casinos. That is the sticking point for the arm wrestling event, which was held at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino.
Alan Brickman, the event's organiser, told USA Today that he tried to include the NFL as a partner, but the league declined.
One such suit was filed past year by the nonprofit Strikes for Kids after the charity said the National Football League pressured it into moving its 2015 event out of a Las Vegas casino bowling alley.
- EU regulators approve Fox plans to buy Sky
- Hijacked ship with Filipino crew rescued
- Hillary Clinton disagrees with Trump's reason for ordering airstrikes on Syria
- Kane back to boost Tottenham's Premier League title bid
- House braces for marathon debate on the Texas budget
- Tidal Owner Jay-Z Pulls Every Album from Spotify, Apple Music
- Willett picks traditional English dinner at Masters
- CNN's Jake Tapper Flings Refugee Contradiction At Ivanka Trump's Pro-Strike Tweet
- South Africa: Big Political Challenge Could Present Opportunity
- Air strike kills 18 in Syria's Idlib province, says Observatory