Aspen Skiing owns and operates four mountains in a winter resort complex in Colorado. The deal is subject to regulatory approval; Intrawest says it expects to close the deal by the third quarter of this year.
Aspen Skiing Co. operates resorts in the Aspen region.
For the second time in less than two months, a Vermont ski resort is being acquired by a buyer from out west.
In a statement, Intrawest chief Thomas Marano said the deal "delivers tremendous value" to shareholders, who get $23.75 a share, roughly 40 percent more than the company's $17 share price in mid-January.
"Our new partners bring additional financial resources and a shared passion for the mountains and our mountain communities".
Kane back to boost Tottenham's Premier League title bid
The difference, of course, is that Spurs don't have a twenty year history of qualifying for the Champions League to draw upon. We needed that emotion. "Winning a trophy is not as easy as, for example, going to the shop and buying a pen".
The consolidations - not new in a ski industry that has seen long periods of consolidation in the past - won't be noticed by customers in the short term, said Mike Kaplan, Aspen Skiing's president and CEO.
And there is a Steamboat/Squaw connection in the persona of former Intrawest and Steamboat Ski Area marketing executive Andy Wirth, who is intimately familiar with the Steamboat Ski and Resort Corp. business model. "A new ownership structure brings new opportunities for Stratton, its employees, and local businesses in the area".
Intrawest has been paring down its resort holdings since selling California's Mammoth Mountain in 2005. Canadian Mountain Holidays, the largest heliskiing operation on Earth, will be acquired by the Aspen Skiing Co. and KSL, too. Inc., said the American ski chains are looking north of the border for the same reason as American visitors. Intrawest Resorts Holdings, Inc. common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: SNOW).
Aspen/Snowmass posted information on this merger calling it, "Better Together".
KSL controls around $7.5 billion in hotel and resort properties. KSL's current portfolio includes some of the premier properties in travel and leisure.
- April the giraffe preparing for 'launch sequence,' say zoo officials
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic makes hilarious comparison to movie character after Man United win
- Griezmann scores late as Atletico draws 1-1 at Real Madrid
- Man who killed wife at California school called her 'angel'
- CONCACAF Chief Favors Joint World Cup Bid for 2026
- Former Fox anchor: Harassment is pervasive
- Hijacked ship with Filipino crew rescued
- Leicester City skipper Wes Morgan out of Everton trip with back injury
- AL Supreme Court: Bentley impeachment hearings can proceed Monday
- Klopp wants Liverpool to copy Chelsea blueprint