Pitcher Michael Pineda starred as the New York Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays 8-1 in their Major League Baseball home season opener.
New York Yankees starting pitcher Michael Pineda reacts after throwing a pitch during the sixth inning of the baseball game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium, Monday, April 10, 2017, in New York. Judge hit an arching 397-foot home run an inning later to left-center - MLB's Statcast said it had an apogee of 147 feet. Pineda will be on the mound Monday for the Yankees, who hope his second start goes better than Wednesday's start in Tampa Bay.
NEW YORK (AP) Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda has a ideal game through six innings against the Tampa Bay Rays in New York's home opener. His biggest error came when Logan Morrison ripped a home run to centerfield in the eighth frame. Leading 2-0 at the time, Pineda then fanned Brad Miller.
Tampa Bay responded to Stewart's tweet after the flawless game was lost, saying: "fake news".
Jacoby Ellsbury and Matt Holliday added run-scoring doubles, while Chris Carter contributed an RBI double.
Masters 2017: Charley Hoffman leads after first round; Dustin Johnson withdraws
Johnson was still trying to digest the last 24 hours, as shocking as any for a No. 1 player going into a major. Then again, he pointed to a poor British Open record, adding, "I've also played disgusting in the wind".
"It's top of the seventh here at yankee stadium and the Yankees are pitching a flawless game versus the Tampa rays".
Over the course of 25 appearances last season, all of which were starts, he produced a 2.13 ERA alongside a 14-5 record.
For the Yankees, Aaron Judge, Chase Headley and Starlin Castro all homered in the win. Amassing a total of 139.1 innings of work across both levels, he also managed 134 strikeouts against 45 walks.
NOTES: Yankees C Gary Sanchez (strained right biceps), was slated for an MRI exam on Monday.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic makes hilarious comparison to movie character after Man United win
- Man who killed wife at California school called her 'angel'
- Leicester City skipper Wes Morgan out of Everton trip with back injury
- Rory McIlroy admits to feeling the pressure ahead of Masters
- CNN's Jake Tapper Flings Refugee Contradiction At Ivanka Trump's Pro-Strike Tweet
- Kane back to boost Tottenham's Premier League title bid
- Hillary Clinton disagrees with Trump's reason for ordering airstrikes on Syria
- Klopp wants Liverpool to copy Chelsea blueprint
- Sergio Garcia wins the Masters, ends drought at the majors
- CONCACAF Chief Favors Joint World Cup Bid for 2026