Thankfully for manager Jose Mourinho, Zlatan Ibrahimovic had other ideas. "Zlatan did that with the goal", Mourinho said.
Ibrahimovic opened the scoring with a ferocious strike and, after Sunderland's Seb Larsson was sent off and Henrikh Mkhitaryan added a second, he provided the assist for Marcus Rashford to wrap up victory a minute from time. "Not one single player stayed in Manchester because we were thinking about resting them, or because we were thinking about rotation or about Anderlecht".
Sunderland remains bottom having now failed to score in its last seven games, 10 points adrift of safety.
"We resisted the results of yesterday when Manchester City and Liverpool won".
"After we got to 4-2 we really controlled the game and it's one of the most complete performances of the season", said Everton manager Ronald Koeman.
"I think it is as hard as finishing fourth, that is the only competition that we can win now and we have to fight for that".
Hijacked ship with Filipino crew rescued
A helicopter conducted surveillance of the ship before 16 navy special forces soldiers were sent aboard to rescue the sailors. We are ready to reinforce our friends so that Galmudug forces do not rescue the nine crew of the Indian ship.
They are also through to the quarter-finals of the Europa League, with Mourinho determined to savour further success in Europe.
Romelu Lukaku's double ensured Craig Shakespeare's flawless record as Leicester manager was ended at Goodison Park.
"I don't want to our club to be just happy with fighting for the top four and Champions League, we want to fight for trophies".
United will make the short trip to Brussels for the first leg of their Europa League quarterfinal later this week, and both players are expected to be on Wednesday's flight.
Demarai Gray released Islam Slimani to level in the fourth minute and six minutes later Marc Albrighton's free-kick from wide on the left embarrassed Joel Robles to put Leicester ahead.
- Easter quirk holds back March inflation rate
- Google blocks invasive Burger King ad
- Sergio Garcia wins the Masters, ends drought at the majors
- National Football League probes casino arm wrestling event
- Celebrations as Grand National victor returns home
- Elliott plans legal action if Akzo rejects vote on chairman dismissal
- Air strike kills 18 in Syria's Idlib province, says Observatory
- Rose, Garcia Tied for Lead at Masters in Prelude to Finale
- California Strikes Deal with Truckers to Hike Fuel Tax
- During border visit, AG Sessions outlines immigration plan