Nintendo launched its NES Classic in 2016 and the device sold out before Christmas previous year.
The NES Classic Edition struggled with supply issues after it was first released in November, with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime saying that the console was meant to be for adults "who grew up playing NES as a kid.but had stepped away from the gaming category".
The company stated last Thursday that the NES Classic was sold as a cool novelty item for holidays and not a permanent product.
No SNES Classic release date is available at this time, though Eurogamer says Nintendo is planning to release it before Christmas. You might think Nintendo would wait for the wounds of disappointed, scorned NES Classic Edition non-owners to heal, but apparently this is of little concern if EuroGamer's sources are to be believed.
Kendrick Lamar is darn good on new album
Reviews of his set have been effusive, while footage of Lana Del Rey enjoying the set went momentarily viral overnight. Others added to the general consensus, describing his set as "amazing" and "incredible" in their droves.
Following up on the NES Classic with a similar microconsole based on the SNES allows Nintendo to take advantage of nostalgia for that era of gaming. That would presumably include Nintendo's first-party classics like Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid, along with a smattering of third-party standouts. Fans are only hoping for one thing: no shortages of the Super Nintendo Mini this time around.
Nintendo has been in the news a lot lately for its rather wacky decision to cancel the popular NES Classic Edition. Eurogamer has reported that Nintendo is working on that next for a Christmas release. The SNES Classic Edition is expected to similarly use USB cables and contain 30 classic video games for one low price.
There is no official word from Nintendo on the possible existence of the SNES Classic, but we'll let you know if they confirm or deny (likely deny, followed by confirm).
The report could explain why the NES Classic was recently discontinued despite sustained demand.
- Harden has 37 points, Rockets rout Thunder, Westbrook 118-87
- 'I've never been so angry': Kris Jenner confronts Caitlyn
- Bill O'Reilly taking a break amid sponsor backlash
- Russell's HR caps 4-run 9th as Cubs top Brewers 7-4
- Ronaldo destroys Bayern, Leicester City out
- Benzema: Hazard Will Be A Good Addition For Madrid
- Minnesota senators press United Airlines about passenger dragged from plane
- Durant shines in Warriors playoff debut in Game 1 win
- United changes policy, crew can't displace seated passengers
- 'Everything at Brighton is geared for Premier League football'