When is the meteor shower?
Be sure to get up early and turn your gaze skyward this weekend. The peak of the Eta Aquariid meteor shower is expected the grace the skies over night on Saturday. The Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory will open to give people a fantastic view of the meteor shower.
For most observers, the eta Aquariids are only visible during the last couple of hours before the start of morning twilight.
The flash may be a part of the current Aquarid meteor shower that's expected to peak Friday and Saturday, the National Weather Service told NBC4.
Every year for almost a month, from late April to late May, the Eta Aquarid meteor showers are visible from Earth. All the meteors Tupman sighted appeared to emanate from the constellation of Aquarius.
Oil hovers near $46 as shale revival cancels out OPEC efforts
The U.S. dollar hit its lowest level in roughly six months against the euro at $1.0999. Crashing oil prices in late 2015 and early 2016 dealt a blow to the US shale industry.
The meteor shower will make a second appearance in October during the Orionid meteor shower.
This year, the shower will peak on the evening of May 5.
Meanwhile, sky watchers living in the Southern Hemisphere are the luckiest of all, as they will get to see the radiance of the meteor shower in the north. It's in the southern sky if you're in the northern hemisphere, and in the northern sky if you're in the southern hemisphere. Look to the southern horizon.
According to the American Meteor Society, "From the equator to 25S they can produce rates of 40-60 per hour just before dawn at maximum". Experts anticipate that viewers of this celestial show will be able to see as many as 30 meteors an hour streak in the sky. Those in Perth and the Outback will have the best view. This will ensure a full panorama of the horizon and will also prevent you from having a sore neck.
Earth's path is crossing the ancient trail of one of man's most recognized comets, colliding with specks of its cosmic dust that fall like fireflies through our darkened skies. Still, take an hour or so off for watching the show. When the shower reaches its zenith, the moon should have already set.
- US trade deficit narrows in March
- Facebook begins selling low-priced WiFi in India
- Kim Kardashian on hunt for a new member of her glam squad
- First time in two decades! India break into top 100
- Google agrees to pay $335 million in Italy tax dispute
- Patanjali notches Rs 10561 crore turnover
- Joey Logano's Richmond win won't count towards NASCAR playoffs
- China Orders Its Citizens To Leave North Korea With Immediate Effect
- UFC creates 4th weight class for women, adding 125-pounders
- Apple steps up its effort to emphasize its economic impact