Both HTC Vive and Lenovo are also working on Daydream-supported standalone VR headsets, and the first models are expected to be released later this year.
He said LG's next flagship smartphone, set to launch later this year, will support Daydream. It is working with HTC, the company that made the Vive VR headset for PC, and Lenovo on hardware.
Current VR headsets, including Facebook Inc.'s Oculus Rift and Google's own Daydream system, require a PC or phone.
Bavor said the company wants to make sure these devices are easy to use, and offer better performance than headsets powered by a phone. DayDream now faces extremely limited support, with most people only capable of experiencing it on their Pixel devices. Qualcomm designed (with Samsung's help) its Snapdragon 835 SoC for the express goal of enabling "immersive experiences" on mobile devices.
Potentially severe weather including high wind gusts en route to Topeka area
A slight chance of a morning shower, then sunny with lower afternoon humidity Wednesday afternoon, high in the mid to high 90's. Right now, there's a chance of showers and thunderstorms (30 percent), but with partly cloudy skies and a high near 88.
Meanwhile, Google has been steadily building up its collection of tools for creating VR content.
That's a big difference from some existing VR headsets, such as the Samsung Gear and Google's own previous headset, which are basically fancy cases with special lenses that a user slides a phone into.
As for how well it will work or how it compares to existing VR headsets, we don't yet know. In addition, you also won't need to install external tracking devices around the room. The company says each headset will feature Vr-optimized displays, optics, and sensors. However, today, at the ongoing I/O Google has announced that Samsung Galaxy S8 and the S8 Plus will be getting the DayDream feature via a software update. You just put the thing on and start using it.
Finally, Google's Expedition VR experience for school is going to get an AR component later this year.
- This is Moto C, not the one you were looking for
- SpaceX Successfully Launches It's Heaviest Satellite to Date
- Pippa Middleton Is Reportedly in a Bridal Boot Camp
- One Belt and One Road initiative is good for Africa - Amb. Kayonga
- Marshalls plc (MSLH) Earns "Buy" Rating from Shore Capital
- Donald Trump, Not a Popular President or Baby Name
- Latest Instagram update adds face filters and more
- US, EU in urgent talks on expanding laptop ban on flights
- CBS unveils six new series for the fall season
- McKayla Maroney Says Ass Video Wasn't Hacked, Enjoy It