Before the drawing Saturday night the jackpot was estimated at $447 million.
Powerball numbers are drawn every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m.
As Saturday's drawing approached, the estimated jackpot was the 10th largest in USA history.
Each $2 Powerball ticket includes five numbers from 1 to 69 and one Powerball number from 1 to 26.
No one has matched all the balls drawn in the Powerball game since April 1, when a player in Arizona won $60 million.
Trump's approval rating dips to 34%
In the first few weeks of his presidency, Trump's approval sank lower than many of his predecessors ever had. Among Republicans , 63 percent strongly approve of him.
The massive jackpot is the seventh in the list of the largest awarded United States lottery prizes of all time - a list that includes Mega Millions and Powerball winnings, the U.S.'s two largest games.
"There was one victor sold by the California Lottery for the last drawing's $447,800,000 grand prize", according to a statement.
Powerball tickets are sold in 44 states, as well as Washington, D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The odds of winning Powerball are now 1 in 292 million, or 0.0000003%. The estimated cash value for Saturday's drawing is $273 million. The largest jackpot recorded was $1.58 billion on January 13, 2016.
With fewer winners, the jackpot has the chance to grow bigger week after week.
The lump sum payout for the winning ticket would be $279.1 million.
- Cape Town coastal resort fire kills five people, including two children
- Alleged Russian hack reveals a deeply flawed US election system
- The iMac Pro is Apple's most powerful computer ever
- Apple Watch will sync with your treadmill to share workout data
- Trump will not block Comey from testifying, White House says
- Fernando Alonso: If McLaren wins by September, I'll stay for 2018
- Coalition strikes 'kill 17 civilians' as battle for Raqa rages
- Accused leaker Reality Winner pleads not guilty, denied bail
- 'We are not ready to surrender,' Qatar's foreign minister says
- Jordan lowers diplomatic representation in Qatar