Before the drawing Saturday night the jackpot was estimated at $447 million.
Powerball numbers are drawn every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m.
As Saturday's drawing approached, the estimated jackpot was the 10th largest in USA history.
Each $2 Powerball ticket includes five numbers from 1 to 69 and one Powerball number from 1 to 26.
No one has matched all the balls drawn in the Powerball game since April 1, when a player in Arizona won $60 million.
Position-by-position matchups for the NBA Finals
James had won two titles as part of another "super team" in Miami but last year's crown meant even more to his legacy. Not to go out there and score a number of points, but to just go out there and win the game and make winning plays.
The massive jackpot is the seventh in the list of the largest awarded United States lottery prizes of all time - a list that includes Mega Millions and Powerball winnings, the U.S.'s two largest games.
"There was one victor sold by the California Lottery for the last drawing's $447,800,000 grand prize", according to a statement.
Powerball tickets are sold in 44 states, as well as Washington, D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The odds of winning Powerball are now 1 in 292 million, or 0.0000003%. The estimated cash value for Saturday's drawing is $273 million. The largest jackpot recorded was $1.58 billion on January 13, 2016.
With fewer winners, the jackpot has the chance to grow bigger week after week.
The lump sum payout for the winning ticket would be $279.1 million.
- Twelve arrested after London terror attacks released without charge
- Out-of-nowhere Ostapenko to face Halep for French Open title
- Coalition strikes 'kill 17 civilians' as battle for Raqa rages
- Trump hails the fallen and their families at Arlington
- The new hardcore platformer from Super Meat Boy creators
- Philippine marines killed in fighting with militants
- Jordan lowers diplomatic representation in Qatar
- Captain Kane rescues England against Scotland
- Apple Watch will sync with your treadmill to share workout data
- Half support Trump travel ban