Police in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, said in a statement that they arrested Wilder on Wednesday afternoon after they found marijuana in his Cadillac Escalade. The 2008 Olympic bronze medallist was stopped by police in the fighter's home city of Tuscaloosa, Alabama for a tinted window vehicle violation.
Wilder was charged with second-degree marijuana possession, a misdemeanor, and released on $1,000 bond.
Wilder is the World Boxing Council heavyweight champion.
The department says officers got permission to search the auto after smelling marijuana and discovered a small amount inside the vehicle.
1 winning Powerball ticket sold in California worth $447M
The owner of the California deli that sold the sole jackpot winning Powerball ticket on Saturday calls the win "unbelievable". California is one of 44 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S.
Wilder's attorney, Paul Patterson, said the marijuana wasn't his.
"Deontay has been out-of-state for several days", Patterson told the Tuscaloosa News.
The arresting officer said he smelled marijuana coming from Wilder's auto. "But he's also a fighter and he's going to fight this and clear his name", Patterson went on to say.
The only time Wilder was forced to win a fight by decision was back on January 17, 2015, when he fought Bermane Stiverne.
The 31-year-old called out Parker for a unification bout via social media back in April. He is undefeated in 38 professional fights, winning all but one by knockout.
- WRAPUP 3-Weak US consumer prices, retail sales put spotlight on Fed
- Russian police detain Putin critic Navalny ahead of Moscow protest
- Gulf states announce humanitarian hotline for mixed Qatari families
- Top House GOP leader shot at congressional baseball practice
- Puerto Rico overwhelmingly votes in favor of U.S. statehood amid low turnout
- Ed Gillespie wins GOP nomination, will face Northam
- Facebook seeks to become 'hostile place' for extremists
- Saturday night's Powerball jackpot reaches $435 million
- Hawaii law aligns state with Paris climate pact
- Position-by-position matchups for the NBA Finals