While he believes McIlroy is the world's most gifted golfer but suggested that he's "bored" with the sport, adding that not having Tiger Woods to compete with has had a negative impact on the 28 year-old.
It might not be the end of this particular spat, however, it is the end of McIlroy in this year's US Open.
Elkington then attempted to dismiss McIlroy as a "money guy" (although we're sure he would have gladly accepted the winnings if his career had been more successful). "Jack [Nicklaus] won 18 and never mentioned his total cash", Elkington responded.
"That's why jack designed 100's of golf courses...and it's knew...mustn't have taught grammar in the 50's", McIlroy replied.
'The United States CREATED terror cult ISIS' World leader claims
The Iranian leader also said the U.S. and Saudi Arabia are in partnership when it comes to funding Sunni militants. Baluchistan is home to a Sunni population who form a minority in majority Shia Iran.
McIlroy birdied four of his last six holes in Wisconsin, but still missed the cut by four shots.
"Even though it's very disappointing to not be here on the weekend, I think these last two rounds will serve me well going into the summer".
The US Open was only his seventh appearance of the year, following two lay-offs caused by a rib injury plus a few weeks away from golf to celebrate his wedding to American beauty Erica Stoll.
"The worst thing I can do is go and force it because that's not my game". McIlroy was far from the only star to suffer at the U.S. Open, as Dustin Johnson, Jason Day and Jon Rahm also failed to reach Saturday play.
- Ed Gillespie wins GOP nomination, will face Northam
- Hawaii law aligns state with Paris climate pact
- Apple Now Allows Users to Tip with In-App Purchases
- Mistrial declared in Bill Cosby criminal case
- WRAPUP 3-Weak US consumer prices, retail sales put spotlight on Fed
- Top House GOP leader shot at congressional baseball practice
- Sphero Storytelling Spider-Man Toy
- 'One of those days' as McIlroy finds trouble in Erin Hills rough
- New Zealand try new black magic to end US America's Cup spell
- Tropical weather likely in Gulf