According to The Post, Clarke met with Trump on Tuesday during his trip to Wisconsin.
Soon after Clarke's announcement, dozens of Democratic lawmakers urged Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to reject the appointment, citing concerns over the Milwaukee County Jail deaths as well as Clark's previous criticisms of the Black Lives Matter movement, which he has called a "hateful ideology".
"Sheriff Clarke is 100% committed to the success of President Trump, and believes his skills could be better utilized to promote the President's agenda in a more aggressive role", said Craig J. Peterson, Clarke's advisor. The Department of Homeland Security did not respond to request for comment.
Clarke spoke in support of Trump at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last July.
U.S. servicemembers wounded in 2nd Afghan insider attack in a week
He said there were no USA or North Atlantic Treaty Organisation fatalities, but he noted that US soldiers were wounded. John Nicholson, the US commander in Afghanistan, to deploy betweeen 3,000 and 5,000 additional forces to the country.
Clarke, who was a vocal surrogate for President Donald Trump on the campaign trail, announced in May that he would be joining the administration as an assistant secretary in DHS, serving as a liaison with law enforcement at several levels across the country.
The Department of Homeland Security, created after the September 11, 2001, attacks on NY and the Pentagon, includes agencies that handle customs, border protection and immigration, the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and the Secret Service.
Senator Kamala Harris of California, a Democrat who sits on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, wrote in a Twitter post: "Sheriff David Clarke's unconscionable record makes him unfit to serve".
It's not clear what Clarke will now do instead.
- San Francisco Giants 2017 draft picks with Bay Area ties
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis on Afghanistan Troop Levels
- Portugal forest fires kills 24, many burn to death in their cars
- Russian fan leader banned from opening Confederations Cup match
- Ed Gillespie wins GOP nomination, will face Northam
- Avildsen, Director Of Rocky, Karate Kid Dies At 81
- Congressmen Credit Capitol Police for Preventing 'Massacre'
- Twitter briefly suspends Al-Jazeera Arabic amid Qatar rift
- McIlroy dismisses Twitter criticism after US Open exit
- Made available for expansion draft