According to The Post, Clarke met with Trump on Tuesday during his trip to Wisconsin.
Soon after Clarke's announcement, dozens of Democratic lawmakers urged Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to reject the appointment, citing concerns over the Milwaukee County Jail deaths as well as Clark's previous criticisms of the Black Lives Matter movement, which he has called a "hateful ideology".
"Sheriff Clarke is 100% committed to the success of President Trump, and believes his skills could be better utilized to promote the President's agenda in a more aggressive role", said Craig J. Peterson, Clarke's advisor. The Department of Homeland Security did not respond to request for comment.
Clarke spoke in support of Trump at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland last July.
'One of those days' as McIlroy finds trouble in Erin Hills rough
His total of 154 equaled his worse two-round total at a major, matching his first two rounds at The Open in 2013. After teeing off on the 10th hole in one of the day's final groups, he bogeyed two of his first four holes.
Clarke, who was a vocal surrogate for President Donald Trump on the campaign trail, announced in May that he would be joining the administration as an assistant secretary in DHS, serving as a liaison with law enforcement at several levels across the country.
The Department of Homeland Security, created after the September 11, 2001, attacks on NY and the Pentagon, includes agencies that handle customs, border protection and immigration, the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and the Secret Service.
Senator Kamala Harris of California, a Democrat who sits on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, wrote in a Twitter post: "Sheriff David Clarke's unconscionable record makes him unfit to serve".
It's not clear what Clarke will now do instead.
- 'The United States CREATED terror cult ISIS' World leader claims
- U.S. servicemembers wounded in 2nd Afghan insider attack in a week
- Made available for expansion draft
- Sphero Storytelling Spider-Man Toy
- McIlroy dismisses Twitter criticism after US Open exit
- Facebook seeks to become 'hostile place' for extremists
- Portugal forest fires kills 24, many burn to death in their cars
- Trump Interviewed Mueller for FBI Director Job
- Buffalo Sabres hire Phil Housley as head coach
- Tropical weather likely in Gulf