Monday, 21 August 2017
Latest news
Main » U.S. servicemembers wounded in 2nd Afghan insider attack in a week

U.S. servicemembers wounded in 2nd Afghan insider attack in a week

19 June 2017

An Afghan soldier opened fire Saturday at a base shared with US forces in northern Afghanistan, wounding at least seven USA soldiers in the second such insider attack last week. He said there were no USA or North Atlantic Treaty Organisation fatalities, but he noted that US soldiers were wounded.

On June 10, an Afghan army commando killed three US soldiers and wounded another.

Afghan officials also confirmed the attack and that the attacker had been shot dead.

In April, scores of Afghan soldiers were killed when militants breached security at Camp Shaheen, detonating explosives and shooting hundreds of troops at a mosque and dining hall on the base.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid praised the attack in a statement sent to the media.

In a statement released on Voice of Jihad, the Taliban claimed the strike under the aegis of Operation Mansouri, its most recent spring offensive. Earlier this year in March a similar insider attack wounded three United States soldiers at an Afghan military complex in Helmand province. USA soldiers have been wounded.

Russian fan leader banned from opening Confederations Cup match
Petersburg is hosting the opening and final matches of the Confederations Cup , also dubbed as the Tournament of Champions. New Zealand is now without a win in four trips to the Confederations Cup , and next plays Mexico on Wednesday in Sochi.

He said that an investigation was ongoing into the circumstances of the attack.

"The incident is now under investigation", the statement read.

Tabassoom said two suicide attackers died in the suicide vehicle bombings and three others were killed in the following firefight with the police.

The assault involved at least seven attackers, one of whom blew himself up at the entrance to the site in Gardez to clear the way for the others. Nangarhar (east), stronghold of the fighters of the Islamic State group.

Defense Secretary James Mattis is set to decide in coming weeks on whether to grant the request of Army Gen. John Nicholson, the US commander in Afghanistan, to deploy betweeen 3,000 and 5,000 additional forces to the country.

USA troops are also at risk in other parts of Afghanistan.

U.S. servicemembers wounded in 2nd Afghan insider attack in a week