Fairley's play helped him earn a four-year, $28 million extension in March.
Fox Sports' Jennifer Hale reported earlier in the month Fairley had missed organized team activities after medical tests revealed he had a heart problem. Rankins accounted for 20 total tackles and 4.0 sacks last season, numbers that lead the Saints' available defensive linemen.
However, Payton explained that Fairley's condition had apparently worsened or become more concerning this year.
Fairley sometimes struggled to meet expectations during his first five pro seasons.
Existing home sales rebound pushing median price to new high
In May properties were typically on the market for just 27 days, down from 29 days in April and 32 days a year earlier. The current sales rate indicates a supply of just 4.2 months, down from 4.7 months in the same month of past year .
Saints coach Sean Payton has said at least one specialist recommended that Fairley give up football.
Fairley has played for three different teams since being drafted 13th overall in 2011.
Under NFI rules, the Saints are not required to pay Fairley his $1 million base salary this year since his injury was not related to football. Fairley recorded career-highs in tackles (43) and sacks (6.5) in 2016 and was expected to play a vital role in New Orleans' front seven.
The post Injury Update: Saints' Nick Fairley Out for Season appeared first on Cover32.
- UK Confirms It Will Leave EU Single Market Upon Brexit
- Geographic analysis: Amazon and Whole Foods footprints are remarkably similar
- LA-area father arrested on suspicion of killing missing son
- PM Modi, Tendulkar lead applause for Srikanth
- DRB Hicom-Geely partnership will drive Proton to success, says PM
- Mum left two kids in hot car as punishment
- Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 specs leaked online
- Family affair: Lakers grab Lonzo Ball with 2nd overall pick
- Kyle Larson wins Sonoma pole
- Would-be gunman launched into Trump tirade before shooting