The All-Star point guard was a point of emphasis for Toronto, which needed to re-sign both Lowry and forward Serge Ibaka to avoid a rebuild. It's hard to think that the Raptors would want to pay Ibaka over $20 million per year without knowing that Lowry, their best player, is coming back.
Ibaka is one of only 13 players in National Basketball Association history to make 100 3-pointers and record 100 blocks in the same season; he did it last season, along with Karl-Anthony Towns, Kristaps Porzingis and Brook Lopez.
Why is that? According to an appearance that ESPN's Zach Lowe did on Bleacher Report's "The Full 48" podcast, teams are concerned about Ibaka's listed age. The point guard market probably wasn't as large or lucrative as he expected, but he's still going to earn a ton of money. Now Lowry can finish what he started with the Raptors and potentially get them deeper in the Eastern Conference Playoffs next season.
57 dead in US-led strikes on IS Syria prison: monitor
United States forces would not fire on targets "unless they are the enemy, unless they are ISIS", he said late on Monday. In response, President Donald Trump ordered the military to fire about 60 cruise missiles at the base.
So, all things considered, the Raptors will keep a valuable player and can keep this core around (the most successful one they've had) for a good duration. Lowry is 31 years old and his growth as a shooter suggests he should still play at close to an All-Star level at the back end of that deal.
Lowry averaged 22.4 points, 7.0 assists, 4.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 3.2 3-pointers per contest in 60 games during the regular season.
Additional offseason moves by the Raptors have already included extending a qualifying offer to restricted free agent Nando De Colo, selecting Ogugua Anunoby in the first round of the 2017 NBA Draft, and renouncing the draft right to DeAndre Daniels. Ibaka and Lowry share the same agent and I would imagine Ujiri has at least worked out the framework of what a new deal would look like for Lowry.
- Utah Wildfire Levels 13 Homes, Forces Evacuation Of 1500 People
- Can't have single or two GST rates immediately, says Jaitley
- Real Madrid forward Mariano Diaz Mejia joins Lyon
- Venus Williams responsible for a fatal accident
- Andy Murray pulls out of second match at Hurlingham with sore hip
- Turkey ready to fight in Syria 'at any threat from Kurds'
- Plane crashes on California freeway
- TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly cloudy, showers and thunderstorms likely
- Walk and Concert to Support Yingying Zhang taking place tomorrow night
- Sony will start pressing vinyl records again because they're trendy