Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free.
Musk, who is in Australia today for the announcement, updated the 100-day claim by saying that it would start once an electricity grid interconnection agreement has been signed with the local utility.
South Australian company CPP will be involved in the build, and Musk joined with South Australia's Premier Jay Weatherill saying that the project would create jobs for the southern state.
In September previous year the state was plunged into a blackout after a severe storm interrupted power supply. The South Australian government has been seeking to fix the problem with renewable energy. It will be linked up to French renewable energy company Neoen's Hornsdale Wind Farm near Jamestown, South Australia.
Launch fails for China's Long March-5 Y2 carrier rocket
As well as Chang'e-5, the Long March 5 will launch the country's first independent interplanetary mission, to Mars , in 2020. China's attempt to launch the "Long March-5 Y2" carrier rocket today failed after an anomaly was detected during its flight.
The battery will have a capacity of 100 megawatts, three times bigger than the world's largest battery at the moment.
The massive battery - the largest lithium-ion storage project in the world - is created to power 30,000 homes in the blackout-plagued region. In the end the state government chose to ignore the feds and pursue their own energy security policy, which included building a huge amount of battery storage.
The embrace of battery technology is part of the state government's AUD550 million energy security plan.
The billionaire magnate took to Twitter to announce that "this will be the highest power battery system in the world by a factor of 3".
It also supports another commitment Musk has made - to bring clean energy to the world through battery storage, renewable energy, and electrified mobility. Tesla will be responsible for the entire energy storage system component of the project.
If they fail, Musk has promised that the battery will be offered for free.
Tesla expects the system to come online in December.
- United States employers add 222K jobs, jobless rate rises to 4.4 pct
- Letter to the editor:Health insurance under 'Trumpcare'
- Real Madrid forward Mariano Diaz Mejia joins Lyon
- Microsoft Cloud focus casts job loss shadows
- John Podesta lashes out at 'whack job POTUS' over G-20 tweet
- United Nations member countries approve global nuclear treaty
- Andy Murray pulls out of second match at Hurlingham with sore hip
- Trump Talks Trade and Climate With Merkel Ahead of G-20 Summit
- Poll finds more adults in USA trust CNN compared to Donald Trump
- Manny Pacquiao's Mandatory Challenger Jeff Horn Is A Dangerous Young Puncher