Petitioners cited finger prints and iris scan among the personal details that are collected as a violation of right to privacy.
On June 10, the Supreme Court had ruled that from July 1 onward, every person eligible to obtain Aadhaar card must quote their Aadhaar number or their Aadhaar Enrolment ID number for filing of Income Tax Returns as well as for applications for Permanent Account Number (PAN).
A five-judge constitution bench will hear from July 18 the challenge to validity of the controversial Aadhaar Act on the touchstone of privacy, an issue that has been pending for two years.
The court, in October 2015, referred the case for hearing before a Constitution Bench, but despite several reminders from the petitioners, it was pending.
The court however said that the 5 judge will have to weigh in the Aadhaar issue with the decision of the 8n judge Bench.
Ivanka Trump under fire after taking seat among world leaders at G20
Trump soon returned from his meeting with the Indonesian leader and took his place between UK PM May and Chinese President Xi. Some attacked her or used her to attack President Trump - and a number simply asked why she was even there.
The oft-made request comes on the heels of an observation made by Justice Jasti Chelameshwar, who had said that a Constitution bench should dispose of all matters arising out of the Aadhaar issue once and for all. The A-G said earlier eight-judge bench had held that right to privacy is not a fundamental right.
It was argued that Aadhaar card is an invasion of privacy and a bad violation of basic human rights.
The court has to also consider the question whether the appeals would have to be heard by an 11-judge Bench of the Supreme Court.
They contended that it violated the apex court's order of 2013 that no one can be denied benefits of any scheme due to absence of Aadhaar.
- Trillion-ton iceberg breaks off from Antarctic ice shelf
- Tesla to build 100-megawatt battery for South Australia in 100 days
- Ivanka Trump visited the Jewish ghetto of Warsaw without her father
- Russia, Turkey, Iran Fail To Agree On Details Of Syria De-Escalation Zones
- John Podesta lashes out at 'whack job POTUS' over G-20 tweet
- Rex Tillerson says Russian Federation must reduce tensions in eastern Ukraine
- Letter to the editor:Health insurance under 'Trumpcare'
- The Muppets' Kermit the Frog finds a new voice
- The Zoo Digital Group plc (ZOO) Rating Reiterated by FinnCap
- 1 of 3 victims in shooting is suspect's ex-wife