The iceberg is described as weighing 1 trillion tons (1.12 trillion USA tons).
The 2,200-square-mile (5,800-square-kilometer) iceberg, which weighs more than 1 trillion tons, is one of the largest ever recorded. Luckman said more icebergs might break off, or the ice shelf could regrow.
According to the head of the climate program of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) in Russia, Alexei Kokorin, the split of the giant iceberg in Antarctica was facilitated by the warming of the Southern Ocean.
Though the Larsen C ice shelf will regenerate to some extent, most researchers agree the loss of the iceberg will leave the ice shelf significantly less stable than it was before the break.
A close-up view of the crack in the Larsen C ice shelf before the break.
OPEC Forecasts 1.3% Oil Demand Growth Next Year - Finance News
But at 495.4 million barrels, US crude oil inventories were in the upper half of the average range for this time of year. Of later, there have also been increasing cries to impose an output cap on Nigeria and Libya .
Scientists report that the iceberg was actually floating long before it separated from the ice shelf which is why there has been no immediate impact on the sea level.
The final breakaway was detected in data from a satellite instrument of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which images in the thermal infrared at a resolution of 1 kilometer, and confirmed by another instrument.
The new iceberg now poses as a risk for ships passing through the peninsula, according to Reuters.
The growth of the crack reportedly sped up starting in 2014, and, as Mic reported earlier in July, scientists had been preparing for a large iceberg to cleave off of the ice shelf as a result of the rift. The collapse of the ice shelf began on the Eastern front, Antarctica in 2014.
As if Antarctica weren't already a frightening enough place, the latest development offers new chills: A massive iceberg just splintered from an Antarctic ice shelf, and is now floating on its own in the Southern Ocean.
"This calving is dramatic but normal in the life cycle of an ice shelf", said the British Antarctic Survey.
- 3 children among 9 people shot at gender reveal party near Cincinnati
- Qatar says Arab quartet accusations are false
- Mexico 3 El Salvador 1: Defending Gold Cup Champions Win Opener
- Indian forces martyr two Civilians along LoC: ISPR
- Arab Nations Continue Isolation Of Qatar Which Ignores Their List Of Demands
- China Celebrates KFC's 30th Anniversary By Creating a Smartphone
- Ivanka Trump under fire after taking seat among world leaders at G20
- Constitution bench to hear Aadhaar pleas July 18
- What time is Johanna Konta on TV at Wimbledon?
- Dalian Wanda to Sell $9.3 Billion in Hotels and Tourism Stakes