The motive for the attack is still under investigation, the ministry said, adding that the attacker had swum from a nearby public beach to access the holiday resort in Hurghada, some 400 km south of Cairo.
At least two Ukrainian tourists were killed and another four people were wounded Friday after a man attacked them with a knife at the Egyptian Red Sea resort in Hurghada, Egypt.
The Ministry of the Interior said in a statement that the attack happened at about 11:00 local time (9:00 UTC) and that the assailant was taken into custody about noon.
A security official said the attacker, a man in his 20s dressed in a black T-shirt and jeans, wielded a knife and intentionally sought to attack foreigners. However, initial media reports say that two tourists died from their injuries.
3 children among 9 people shot at gender reveal party near Cincinnati
One victim is in critical condition, three are in fair condition and one is in stable condition according to the hospital. According to police, people at the party were watching a movie when two people walked in and began shooting.
According to AFP news agency, the attack happened at Sunny Days El Palacio hotel.
Two German women were killed in the attack.
However, Ukrainian Foreign Ministry official Vasyl Kyrylych told CNN that this is not the case, citing what police told his country's embassy in Egypt.
Hurghada, a popular scuba diving spot, stretches for 40km of Egypt's Red Sea coast. It has been reported that all six victims were women.
- China Celebrates KFC's 30th Anniversary By Creating a Smartphone
- Centre briefs all-party MPs on standoff with China
- Constitution bench to hear Aadhaar pleas July 18
- Live Crew's Fresh Kid Ice Has Died
- Trillion-ton iceberg breaks off from Antarctic ice shelf
- The Muppets' Kermit the Frog finds a new voice
- What time is Johanna Konta on TV at Wimbledon?
- 1 of 3 victims in shooting is suspect's ex-wife
- OPEC Forecasts 1.3% Oil Demand Growth Next Year - Finance News
- Tesla to build 100-megawatt battery for South Australia in 100 days