The deal covers Kenmore, the Sears appliance brand. The deal marks the broadest distribution of Kenmore products, outside of Sears branded stores and related online retail platforms. For instance, "Alexa, tell Kenmore Smart to set my air conditioner to 68 degrees" will automatically change the temperature setting from afar. The Kenmore Smart air conditioner is now available.
Sears (SHLD), which also owns Kmart, says that its Kenmore Smart appliances will be fully integrated with Amazon's (AMZN) Alexa, allowing users to fully control things like air conditioners through voice commands.
When a customer orders a Kenmore appliance on Amazon, Sears will also offer a white-glove delivery and installation service, according to the announcement.
However, in a statement, Charlie Kindel, director of the Alexa Smart Home at Amazon, indicated Alexa-enabled Kenmore washing machines could be next. However, the goal is to expand that to every home appliance in the company's line-up. Sears shares jumped 21.8% to $10.57 in premarket trading Thursday. In its last quarter, Sears notched its first profit since 2015, reporting net income of $244 million on revenue of $4.3 billion, compared with a loss of $471 million on sales of $5.4 billion in the year-ago quarter.
Venezuelans begin 'final offensive' 24-hour walkout against President Nicolas Maduro
Venezuelans in other parts of the world as far as Miami, New York City and Spain also participated in the non-binding referendum .
Sears' Kenmore brand got its start in 1913 with sewing machines and quickly expanded to laundry, vacuum cleaners and more.
"The launch of Kenmore products on Amazon.com will significantly expand the distribution and availability of the Kenmore brand in the United States".
"We continuously look for opportunities to enhance the reach of our iconic brands to more customers and create additional value from our assets", said Edward S. Lampert, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sears Holdings.
- Kevin Stewart nears £8 million move to Hull City
- France's army chief resigns on defense spending cut
- Malayalam actress assault case: Actor Dileep's bail plea rejected
- One Direction star joins Prince Harry on 'Dunkirk' red carpet
- Martin Landau Dies, Aged 89
- Dept. Of Homeland Security To Allow 15000 Additional H-2B Immigration Visas
- Doom 6.66 Patch Unlocks All Multiplayer DLC; Price Dropped
- Knife attacker kills two Ukrainian tourists in Egyptian resort
- Billie Lourd Accepts Carrie Fisher's Disney Legends Award
- Israel has no sovereignty over Al-Aqsa: Palestinian PM