Cabrera then shoved Romine, punches were thrown, and an all-out brawl unfolded on the baseball diamond.
Five players were ejected, along with both managers and the Yankees' bench coach.
And the sixth-inning melee was far from the end of it.
'Handful' of national monuments may change per Interior Secretary's recommendations
San Gabriel Mountains National MonumentIn this October 10, 2014 file photo, President Barack Obama speaks at Frank G. The Associated Press reported that he said he will recommend changing the boundaries for a "handful" of sites.
In the seventh inning, Yankees reliever Dellin Betances hit Tigers catcher James McCann in the head with a pitch, which emptied the benches again and Betances was ejected.
Count former Boston Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez among the players lashing out against Gary Sanchez's cheap shots during Thursday's brawl between the Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees at Comerica Park.
Variously, Girardi blamed the Tigers in general for, in his view, taking this to another level; the umpiring crew for not grabbing this whole thing by the horns; and his Detroit counterpart, Brad Ausmus, for directing naughty words toward Brett Gardner, who's never heard such talk.
It is the final time the Yankees and Tigers are scheduled to play this season.
"I think I still got him by two feet", Judge said. I expected much more from you, Joe.
Asked if it bothered him that teammates would get into a disagreement, he said: "No, again, emotions are running high". Somehow, Romine was not one of the players ejected from the game, but his complicity in not walking away from Cabrera makes him culpable as well. The umpires didn't immediately eject Betances, but they did after a conference. Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias was also fined. In the 8th inning, Tigers reliever Alex Wilson hit Todd Frazier with a pitch.
As you can see above, Cabrera threw the first punch. It did not appears that Betances threw at James McCann on objective as it was a crucial spot in the game and he does have a tendency to be erratic.
- Walmart Moves into Voice Shopping
- Apple reportedly working on self-driving employee shuttle for its campuses
- Human remains found on US warship that collided off Singapore: US Navy
- Barcelona takes legal action against Neymar for not fulfilling his contract
- Politician apologizes for inflammatory statement about President Trump
- Baba Ram Rahim verdict: Curfew-like restrictions in Chandigarh, Panchkula
- Percent of Americans See Trump as Divider, Poll Finds
- Samsung confirms it's working on an Amazon Echo competitor
- Ronaldo named UEFA player of the year for third time
- Taylor Swift announces new album 'Reputation' out November 10