The Los Angeles Angels have acquired slugging outfielder Justin Upton from the Detroit Tigers, upgrading their lineup for the playoff race. While it's true that Upton can opt out after this season, the Angels wanted the veteran's bat regardless, so says Rosenthal.
The Angels made this trade just before the September 1st deadline so should the Angels make their way into the playoffs Upton will be eligible to play.
That's also true because August 31 is the last day a trade can be made that will allow the acquisition to play on the postseason roster.
Defending US Open champ Kerber humbled by Osaka in first round
Her ground strokes, save for a few flashes of brilliance, lacked the depth to exploit Osaka's inexperience. Rain caused 55 of the 64 scheduled matches to be suspended or postponed.
The 30-year-old has hit.279/.362/.542 in his second season with the Tigers, good for a 136 OPS+ that would rank second among Angels hitters, behind only Mike Trout. If you were to stay with Anaheim, it would be costly for the Angels. As Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes, Angels left fielders have hit a combined 27 homers since the start of the 2015 season.
Upton, who signed a 6-year, $132.75 million contract with the Tigers prior to the 2016 season, would still be owed $88.5 million over the next four seasons. Upton's 162-game average is 28.
Detroit Tigers fans have seen one of the team's best performers depart in a trade. (If you didn't know, yes, you can make trades after July 31.) According to New York Post's Joel Sherman, the Angels will send RHP Grayson Long and either cash or a player to be named later to Detroit. Morosi reports that the Justin Verlander, Shane Greene, and Alex Wilson are all in play before the waiver-trade deadline of midnight tonight.
- Taylor Swift Song Creates A First Day Streaming Record
- President Trump visits Springfield, Mo. to speak about tax reform
- Lebanon, Hezbollah suspend ISIS fight for soldiers' release
- Mamata Banerjee congratulates Arvind Kejriwal, AAP over Bawana bypoll win
- Shai proud to breathe fresh Hope into Windies cricket
- Nigeria Set For Cameroon Clash
- A German Male Nurse Murdered At Least 90 Patients
- LG V30 now gets a attractive OLED Screen losing the Gimmicks
- Far-Right Rallies In Bay Area Fizzle While Counterprotesters Rejoice
- Trump Renews Call For Mexico To Pay For Border Wall