As of Saturday night, Irma was an "extremely dangerous" Category 3 storm, packing maximum sustained winds of 120 miles per hour, according to the National Hurricane Center.
"I am in disbelief right now..." she wrote.
A Twitter user posted a video Saturday afternoon showing what appears to be a dried out shoreline somewhere in the Bahamas.
"As a meteorologist, there are things you learn in textbooks that you may never see in person", she wrote.
Hillary Clinton Asks 'What Happened?' in 2016
She says she was urged by Barack Obama to "lay off" Bernie as much as possible, but added she "felt like I was in a straitjacket". Hillary Clinton has fronted up to her stunning loss to Donald Trump in the 2016 United States election in a new memoir.
It's hard to believe that a storm would be so strong that it could remove the water surrounding an island, but the phenomenon is true.
The water did go back to Long island in the Bahamas eventually.
"As the wind on Long Island was blowing in the northwesterly direction, on that side of the island it would be blowing water away from the shore, added Ms Fritz".
According to meteorologists, low tides and distant storm surge are also contributing to the phenomenon.
The water in Long Island receded back so far, it exposed shells, buoys and even an anchor.
So far the storm has killed at least 20 people and is due to hit Florida's mainland on Sunday morning and then move up its west coast.
- South Korea will deploy four additional missile defense system
- Facebook Admits To Selling Political Ads To Russian Firm During Election
- Stephen King: IT stuns with $103 Million opening, Chap
- Latest North Korean missile test continues to strain global relations
- Trump 'unlikely to nominate Cohn for Fed chair'
- Hungary, Slovakia lose fight against European Union migration deal
- USA orders closure of Russian consulate
- Spotify, Hulu partner on United States dollars 5 streaming bundle for students
- Nirmala Sitharaman is India's defence minister
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge expecting third child