Egypt has battled militants in Sinai for years, but the insurgency became far more deadly after the 2013 military ouster of Mohammed Morsi.
Heavily-armed Islamic State militants today ambushed a police convoy, killing 18 policemen and wounding eight others in the restive Al-Arish city of North Sinai in Egypt in one of the deadliest attacks on forces.
Police found in the two apartments bomb-making materials, assault rifles and ammunition as well as maps of vital state installations and computers in which instructions and details of future attacks were stored, they said.
They then opened fire with machine guns at survivors of the blast.
The suspects had fled from northern Sinai, a hotbed of militants, to Giza, where they planned to carry out terrorist attacks in the country, the ministry said.
Stephen King: IT stuns with $103 Million opening, Chap
Though the upcoming adaptation of Stephen King's IT hasn't quite hit theaters yet, New Line is already making plans for a sequel. While the Pops! version of any character is ordinarily cute and adorable, their latest version of Pennywise is downright scary.
At least 18 policemen were killed in a militant ambush in Egypt's Sinai.
The militants detonated an improvised explosive device and destroyed four armored vehicles and a signal-jamming vehicle. The wounded included a police brigadier general.
The attack took place about 30km west of el-Arish in northern Sinai, the epicentre of a long-running rebellion now led by an ISIL affiliate.
Terror attacks in Egypt used to focus on police and military men in North Sinai before spreading nationwide and targeting the Coptic minority as well, with a lot of them claimed by a Sinai-based group loyal to the regional Islamic State (IS) militant group.
Today's attack came a day after Egyptian security forces killed 10 terrorists during a raid at their hideouts in a densely populated central Cairo neighbourhood. The militants were said to be the suspected members of a splinter faction of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood group.
- Mormon violinist Lindsey Stirling joins cast of 'Dancing With The Stars'
- Pliskova Powers Into US Open QFs, CoCo, Keys Advance; Venus-Kvitova Tuesday
- Europe's Top Court Backs Intel's Appeal of Antitrust Fine
- LPGA Cambia Portland Classic golf tournament
- Modi stands by Suu Kyi
- Facebook Admits To Selling Political Ads To Russian Firm During Election
- Rafael Nadal vs. Kevin Anderson
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge expecting third child
- Redskins safety Su'a Cravens talked out of retiring
- Spotify, Hulu partner on United States dollars 5 streaming bundle for students